Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Worst Tower Sites For Getting Stuck-Water, Mud, Sand, Snow, Ice, Grade, etc.

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
CK-722

Re: Worst Tower Sites For Getting Stuck-Water, Mud, Sand, Snow, Ice, Grade, etc.

Post by CK-722 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:28 am

I did hear what I suspect was at least 1 kW nondirectional a couple months ago. WEXL or whatever it is now, WCHB, turned off their IBOC. I suspect that they asked that they turn it off to do some kind of omni FI measurements to the South. It was booming in to Macomb County stronger than I have ever heard it. And I was driving to Romeo, where the 105 degree null passes though, and it was stronger there than I have ever heard it. The signal fell back to its regular level for the last few years, and WCHB turned their IBOC back on right at 5:00 PM.

WSAM always seemed to have really good audio. I remember hearing the bass break in "Brown Eyed Girl" in 1967 on WSAM, and the bass response was better than FM in my estimation. When they ran Motorola AM Stereo, it also sounded great. Even for a few miles at Night when I drove through Saginaw listening on a Sony SRF-A100 in wide mode, where the signal was strong enough to drown out the adjacent channel and cochannel 1400 kHz Class IV/C signals. Seems like they were playing Saginaw Stevie's "I Just Called To Say I Love You" as I passed though, so that is about when it was.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Ed Joseph

Re: Worst Tower Sites For Getting Stuck-Water, Mud, Sand, Snow, Ice, Grade, etc.

Post by Ed Joseph » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:10 am

WSAM sounded wonderful when I worked there in 1987-88. They used a CRL stack then. Not sure what Ken runs on it now. Wish it was still C-QuAM though. I still get a listenable signal from them on the west side of Flint during the day. Some radios have a hard time, but then, I have a big stack I need to tune up since they're older radios. But I can get them on my Realistic TM 153 stereo tuner. As of today, it will be getting it's own outside antenna. I've been using a 20' chunk of Beldfoil audio line hidden behind my curtain.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:24 am

I worked at WSAM from 1984-1987. With C-Quam, it sounded better than the FM's in the market.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:25 pm

I agree, Willie!

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic