Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Coming Soon

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

Coming Soon

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:41 pm

At long last, this anemic solar cycle 24 is about to shuffle off. Welcome 25.

Scientists predict a new solar cycle is about to begin and that it might be stronger than the last one
By Joe Kunches
April 11 at 10:29 AM

The latest 11-year cycle of the sun is almost over and scientists have just released predictions for the next one.
Based on the number of sunspots that formed, scientists considered the last solar cycle, No. 24, “weak.” They predict that the upcoming cycle, No. 25, may follow suit, but there are a range of views. Some scientists say the latest data point to a stronger cycle.

The solar cycle forecast was made public at the annual Space Weather Workshop last week, hosted by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Space Weather Prediction Center.

Lisa Upton, a solar physicist with Space Systems Research Corporation and co-chair of the panel issuing predictions, said Cycle 25 should begin between mid-2019 and late 2020 and that it should reach its maximum between 2023 and 2026, when between 95 and 130 sunspots are projected. Average is between 140 and 220 sunspots.

Cycle 24 peaked in April 2014 with 116 sunspots. Should Cycle 25 actually reach the predicted values, that would stem the trend of the past few cycles that showed a continued decline.
Scott McIntosh, a physicist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research, says the latest information would suggest solar cycle 25 may actually be stronger than 24. “The present Geomagnetic data indicate a higher SC25 [solar cycle 25],”

The decline in sunspot activity through cycle 24 was worrisome to some space weather scientists in that it suggested a return to a lengthy “solar drought,” reminiscent of the Maunder Minimum period of 1645-1715. Records show the sun was essentially spotless for this lengthy period, coinciding with the “Little Ice Age” in Europe and tickling the interest of scientists to wonder whether there is a cause-and-effect relationship between solar behavior and Earth’s climate.

The prediction panel, in future work, will attempt to better understand the strength, timing and location of sunspot formation across the sun’s hemispheres and the likelihood of solar flares and coronal mass ejections. These are blasts of charged particles off the sun which can disrupt satellite and radio communications, and even power grids in extreme cases.

Frank Hill, a physicist at the National Solar Observatory, detected measurements heralding the start of Cycle 25 about a year ago. The small sample of data available hampers the confidence of prediction, but he estimates Cycle 25 will commence around October.

The prediction of solar cycle behavior is very difficult. “We are not really ‘there’ on the underlying physics of the problem. It’s a bit like pin the tail on the donkey,” McIntosh said.

Solar scientists are most concerned about a major eruption from the sun, which could cause substantial damage to electronic communication systems and power grids. History suggests such extreme events are possible.
During the “Carrington Event” in 1859, for example, the northern lights were seen as far south as Cuba and Hawaii, according to historical accounts. The solar eruption “caused global telegraph lines to spark, setting fire to some telegraph offices,” NASA wrote. A similar event today would have the potential to cause serious damage to satellite communications and power infrastructure.

[How a solar storm nearly caused a catastrophe on Earth]
During weak cycles, such events are less likely but still possible.
“While we are not predicting a particularly active Solar Cycle 25, violent eruptions from the sun can occur at any time,” Doug Biesecker, a solar physicist at NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center, said in a statement.

In any cycle, strong or weak, the strongest solar storms are most likely at the solar maximum, which is projected between 2023 and 2026 in Cycle 25. Pete Riley, a scientist with Predictive Science, said at the recent workshop that the probability of a “Carrington Event” during solar minimum is about 1.4 percent, whereas during solar maximum it balloons to about 28 percent.

The Cycle 25 prediction panel will continue its work and periodically update its forecasts.
Capital Weather Gang’s Jason Samenow contributed to this report.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... 33b5b6b750

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

SolarMax

Re: Coming Soon

Post by SolarMax » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:44 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:41 pm
At long last, this anemic solar cycle 24 is about to shuffle off. Welcome 25.
Well, that all depends on whose forecast you choose to believe. Or not.
Solar experts predict the Sun’s activity in Solar Cycle 25 to be below average, similar to Solar Cycle 24
April 5, 2019 - Scientists charged with predicting the Sun’s activity for the next 11-year solar cycle say that it’s likely to be weak, much like the current one. The current solar cycle, Cycle 24, is declining and predicted to reach solar minimum - the period when the Sun is least active - late in 2019 or 2020. ...

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:28 pm

Indeed, I have seen predictions ranging from "worst ever" to "hottest in a century" for SC 25.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:10 am

I have heard , both, great and lousy, as predictions for the coming Solar Cycle. Everyone seems to have a different way of estimating how this coming cycle will act.
So In the low sunspot years I spend more time on 160, 80 and 60 M , and if the sunspot count gets better I will be up on 15, 12 and 10 M.
In the past 5 or 6 decades on the HF bands, I have never done much on 15M and 12 M is pretty new to me so I have a lot of catching up on those high freq bands ! I have done most of my rare DX contacts on 10 M in the good years.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:23 am

I want those days back when the russian woodpecker would over take the 27mhz band....now that was probagation.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:47 am

windsor wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:23 am
I want those days back when the russian woodpecker would over take the 27mhz band....now that was probagation.
The "woodpecker" took over a H*** swath of spectrum above and below wherever it happened to be centered. It would have been an actual benefit to civilization if it had stayed on at 27MHz.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:26 am

"Russian Woodpecker". So that's what you Lefties are calling Donald Trump these days? And his hair is Orange, not Red. Please, no politics this morning.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

mocom70

Post by mocom70 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:15 pm

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:55 am

Solar Flux levels are trending slowly upward. After languishing below 70 for the last several months, predictions are for upper 70s in May.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:58 pm

mocom70 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:15 pm
Here's your woodpecker.

https://interestingengineering.com/the- ... -the-radio
Very interesting article, I enjoyed reading it, Thanks for sharing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic