Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

New Radio

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
k8jd

Re: New Radio

Post by k8jd » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:51 pm

I have had some small radios but the little loopstick inside just does not bring in many signals on AM !
BEST portable for AM is My GE "Superradio 2" that has a very large ferrite rod occupying a large portion of the large enclossure, and that works !
the superradio also has some good speakers that sound really fine when you have a strong signal and can use the wide IF selection, pretty close to FM sound if the station is transmitting a good, clean modulation. Even Better on FM !
Only downside is the size. I drug that enormous portable all the way to Hawaii but the results there, in the middle of the Pacific ocan, were amazing ! :shock:
The little mini portables can serve as an emergency backup or for local listening :D

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:56 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:58 pm
So, this works okay as an MP3 player. Not that I needed another MP3 player, but at least I can take some solace in the fact that it works for something. It isn't a quite heavy enough for a door stop.
Why don’t you do the smart thing and send it back for full refund.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:54 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:57 pm
Earlier in this thread, someone observed this thing looks like "a piece of crap." Turns out, there's a good reason for that. It is a piece of crap.

This radio is a real dog. Sure, it's only a $35 radio. But it would have been overpriced at $10.

Unloaded this junk today for $18.50.

Chalk up the loss as a lesson learned.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:42 pm

I recently bought a DX400 off ebay for less than $25 shipped. It arrived in much better shape than I expected. I like to use it out on the deck or in the kitchen. It replaced my Sangean ATS-803 (same rig, only with line outputs on a DIN plug) which took a bad fall and is now in my "repair mountain" downstairs. My *only* complaint is the BFO is kinda flaky, but I might do a mod to increase the carrier reinsertion on it. My Sat800 is now on it's way to said "mountain" now as well, I think I popped the fuse in it cuz "it's DEAD Jim!"

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:44 pm

As far as a pocket AM/FM radio goes, I used to have a little silver Sharper Image with digital tuning. It was a really nice sounding radio with decent sensitivity. I have no idea what become of it and have never found another one to replace it.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:42 pm

Ed Joseph wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:42 pm
I recently bought a DX400 off ebay for less than $25 shipped. It arrived in much better shape than I expected. I like to use it out on the deck or in the kitchen. It replaced my Sangean ATS-803 (same rig, only with line outputs on a DIN plug) which took a bad fall and is now in my "repair mountain" downstairs. My *only* complaint is the BFO is kinda flaky, but I might do a mod to increase the carrier reinsertion on it. My Sat800 is now on it's way to said "mountain" now as well, I think I popped the fuse in it cuz "it's DEAD Jim!"
I never buy used. I think it comes from growing up in and living much of my life in desperate poverty and always having to make do with second hand and hand me downs. Now that I've reached the sweet spot in life that I can afford to buy whatever I want, new, I always do.

But, as it comes to short wave radios, maybe we'll all end up having to buy used. There aren't very many being made anymore. Universal Radio lists only one desk top radio, the Alinco DX-R8T. The rest are all SDR radios.

They're abandoning us old dinosaurs.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:43 pm

Well, in all humility, my wife and I are disabled. That *is* poverty. Sad, we paid in for decades and we make less together per month than I made in a week before the body broke down. We have lost all of our DHS benefits this year, including medicaid, along with just about everyone else I know in MI who is disabled. I swear they are trying to eradicate us! My problem is that evidently I was born 10 years too late, and by the time I was old enough for a career, the economy was starting to tank and "careers" were changing to the service and office sector.

I did radio for 20+ years, left when I saw the carnage from TCA1996 starting, and did ten years slaving for the Big 3. That's when the body started failing. I *so* wish that wasn't the case and that I could work somewhere doing something I enjoy, but about all I know is radio. I would do "all-night DJ" in a heartbeat but the opportunities are nil. I don't care to "make the majors" or "climb the corporate ladder" at this stage in life. I've never done the "cubicle life" and have no desire to do that either. I'd even consider non-taxing factory work like I did in the 90's, but I cannot tolerate wearing shoes for more than about 30 minutes tops. I even do yard work barefoot, and even thus, I still have to get off my feet after about 15 minutes because of the neuropathy. It really sucks. Several of my classmates have been dead years from diabetic complications, and frankly, it scares the hell out of me!

So, I don't really have a choice but buy used now since I certainly don't have hundreds to spend on a radio. If something needs some repair I can handle that and know that I revived a piece of history and kept it from landing in a dump somewhere. This actually applies to most aspects of life now. There is a part of me that really envies those who have escaped to an "off the grid" lifestyle, but I realize that I just don't have the strength to do that myself. Many don't realize that until they've made the dive and end up in a living hell.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:10 pm

The new Grundig Satellit Elite.

Gorgeous radio I'd love to own but I can't justify one more radio. Would have been a great radio to have thirty years ago, when there was still something to listen to on short wave.

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog ... /0222.html

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic