All accepted registrations through October 19 at 7:00a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

DX Dec 11, 2018

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
User avatar
ZenithCKLW
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:21 am
Location: Livonia, MI
Contact:

DX Dec 11, 2018

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Last night I received WFSC 1050, a station from south-west North Carolina. Radio-locator says its nighttime ERP is 153 watts nondirectional. I received this from Livonia. Knowing there are plenty of closer and more powerful 1050's, it's crazy to me that a very distance, 153 watt station powered through the rest.

Also, less significantly, I received directional 50kw CKGM 690 for the first time, without WNZK and WLW splattering all over it.

Receiver used was a Zenith Royal 400 transistor radio. Were there any other interesting DX catches last night? Aside from being winter time with longer night time hours, is there anything unusual going on in the atmosphere allowing stronger DX catches?



ftballfan
Posts: 738
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: DX Dec 11, 2018

Post by ftballfan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:44 pm

I don't dabble much on AM, but CKGM has a strong signal on the west side of the state at night



Deleted User 14803

Re: DX Dec 11, 2018

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:13 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:30 pm
Last night I received WFSC 1050, a station from south-west North Carolina. Radio-locator says its nighttime ERP is 153 watts nondirectional. I received this from Livonia. Knowing there are plenty of closer and more powerful 1050's, it's crazy to me that a very distance, 153 watt station powered through the rest.

Also, less significantly, I received directional 50kw CKGM 690 for the first time, without WNZK and WLW splattering all over it.

Receiver used was a Zenith Royal 400 transistor radio. Were there any other interesting DX catches last night? Aside from being winter time with longer night time hours, is there anything unusual going on in the atmosphere allowing stronger DX catches?
Can you imagine that 400 transistors in one radio and to think I had a lousy Jade 6 transistor radio when I was a kid, technology what the hell are they going to think of next.



User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 3323
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: DX Dec 11, 2018

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:22 pm

RadioKev wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:13 pm


Can you imagine that 400 transistors in one radio and to think I had a lousy Jade 6 transistor radio when I was a kid, technology what the hell are they going to think of next.
:rollin



Deleted User 14803

Re: DX Dec 11, 2018

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:22 pm
RadioKev wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:13 pm


Can you imagine that 400 transistors in one radio and to think I had a lousy Jade 6 transistor radio when I was a kid, technology what the hell are they going to think of next.
:rollin
What do you have to do to carry that radio around a U-Haul it’s got to be one big ass radio.



User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 3323
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: DX Dec 11, 2018

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:05 pm

You need a semi to haul around all those semiconductors.



Deleted User 14803

Re: DX Dec 11, 2018

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:23 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:05 pm
You need a semi to haul around all those semiconductors.
I bet you get some go DX with that,and the speaker must blow away the neighbors.



User avatar
ZenithCKLW
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:21 am
Location: Livonia, MI
Contact:

Re: DX Dec 11, 2018

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:35 pm

Remember the giant speaker in the opening scene of Back To The Future? That.

The thing weighs more than a tube Hallicrafters.



User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 3323
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: DX Dec 11, 2018

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:49 pm

Is this it?

Image



Deleted User 14803

Re: DX Dec 11, 2018

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:02 pm

In all seriousness that radio is in cherry condition,very sweet and you know those radios will out last us,they just don’t build them like that anymore.



User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 3323
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: DX Dec 11, 2018

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:13 pm

That isn't my radio. I just googled for the image,



User avatar
ZenithCKLW
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:21 am
Location: Livonia, MI
Contact:

Re: DX Dec 11, 2018

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:34 pm

Yes that’s it. Leather case too. It’s my favorite. Very sensitive. Batteries last forever. Perfect condition too.



User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 3323
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: DX Dec 11, 2018

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:53 pm

What batteries does it use?



User avatar
ZenithCKLW
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:21 am
Location: Livonia, MI
Contact:

Re: DX Dec 11, 2018

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:40 pm

4 AA batteries.



User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 3323
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: DX Dec 11, 2018

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:48 pm

Have you owned it since new?



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic