Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Metro Detroit CB

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
syntheticexctasy

Metro Detroit CB

Post by syntheticexctasy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:05 am

Feel free to remove if discussing in the wrong forum...

I recently dusted off my old CB and antenna and have been listening a lot, talking a bit.

Who else around here 'has their ears on'?

Turkeytop

Re: Metro Detroit CB

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:35 pm

I'm not a CBer and have never been. But I have radios that tune the CB band. It's been years since I've heard any activity on the band.

Now that all the nut jobs have vacated the band and while we're at solar minimum, it might be a useful band.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:37 pm

I only have mobile units and listen on channel 19 during my commute Jackson/Dearborn, primarily for traffic screw-ups that haven't yet made it to AM/FM/TV. CB usage has declined to the point I rarely hear anything anymore.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:44 pm

I've found a few regular knuckleheads on throughout oakland county, and always truck traffic along the interstates. I'm usually on in the mornings and afternoons during my commute between pontiac and farmington hills.

There's some guy up near 17 and John R - I hear him almost every morning. Not sure what kind of power he's running, but I do know he gets out along middlebelt from it's end at orchard lake all the way down to 696!

A recent trip over to macomb twp along M59 netted quite a few contacts.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:48 pm

The last time I tried, I only heard skip from stations using linears and reverb. If the propagation was line of sight, I heard very little.

Between cell phones and internet becoming universal, the reasons for widespread use have disappeared. I wonder how much time and money the FCC spends on CB enforcement unless there are spurs and harmonics interfering with other services anymore. Years ago, Irby Tallant caught his neighbor using a linear and just told him he was pinning his Field Strength meter.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:43 pm

Arthur Mometer wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:48 pm
I wonder how much time and money the FCC spends on CB enforcement...
None, and Zero.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:46 pm

Arthur Mometer wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:48 pm
The last time I tried, I only heard skip from stations using linears and reverb. If the propagation was line of sight, I heard very little.

Between cell phones and internet becoming universal, the reasons for widespread use have disappeared. I wonder how much time and money the FCC spends on CB enforcement unless there are spurs and harmonics interfering with other services anymore. Years ago, Irby Tallant caught his neighbor using a linear and just told him he was pinning his Field Strength meter.
That's when I kind of gave up on it. All I could ever hear was Mexican skip. Don't hear that much now. Has to do with the solar minimum I'm sure.

Talked to a guy along 23 the other day, stretched it out to see how far we could get apart. Made it about 7 miles - not too shabby for an old Colt 355 and a 3' mag mount.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:52 am

I have a Radio Shack 5-watt hand-held CB that I bought many years ago. It has a standard rubber-duck antenna. Every once in a while I pull it out of mothballs just to see if I can pick up any traffic. I don't usually hear anything although once in a great while I'll pick up a faint transmission. Granted I don't live in a large urban area, although I'm less than a mile from a major expressway. I know that some truckers still use CB, but the evolution of modern technology combined with deterioration of the band due to sunspot propagation has made it pretty much unusable. Can't remember the last time I talked to anyone on a CB.

As far as regulation goes, the FCC gave up on Citizens Band decades ago. Licensing and fines were a revenue generator when it was a hot thing in the late 70's, but once the popularity of CB died down it probably wasn't worth the cost and effort required to regulate the band so the Commission just let it go.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:24 pm

Now and then I tune thru the 11 Meter band to see if there are any signals. If I hear a lot of people screaming on many channels , I quickly retreat to ten or 12 Meter Ham bands and start calling CQs on CW ! :D
So CB is A good place to check for any sporadic E-layer propagation.
WWV is on 20 and 25 MHz and If there is any signal on those freqs there should be some possibilities on 15, 12 and 10 M bands, but it's fun listening to "DX crazed CBers" too.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:25 am

Have been hearing various E-skip (or perhaps F2?) just about every morning for the last week now. Texas and Oklahoma seem most common, but have heard TN and FL as well. These guys don't really uh.....formally identify or locate. I've keyed in a few times but don't think anyone has heard me (or is simply too rude to respond accordingly).

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:05 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d5GrhjSi-A[/youtube]

I heard what sounds to me like a beacon of some kind the other day. It was strongest near Lone Pine and Middlebelt, and was only on for the day (but on all day long)

Any ideas what this could be?

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:06 pm

not sure why the youtube tag didn't work....

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:16 pm

Strong enough to be local, maybe commercial paging is trying to reclaim 27 MHz channels.
May be testing a system. When I first started in mobile radio servicing (4 decades + ago), there were a few systems on the 27 MHz range. using legally assigned channels for paging.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:20 pm

syntheticexctasy wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:25 am
Have been hearing various E-skip (or perhaps F2?) just about every morning for the last week now.
Most likely some E-layer popping up, not going to be any F-layer skip up on that freq range, with the low solar activity..

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:30 pm

E Skip, F2, and other Skip models can be statistically described by a two axis graph with loss over free space and frequency, with probability curves. The lower frequency reflection happens with greater probability. I'll find the graphs if I can.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic