Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Sony Walkman

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

Re: Sony Walkman

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:03 pm

The SRF 59 again. I took it with me on my walk this evening. When I got home, I was taking it out of my pocket and it slipped from my hand. It fell down the basement stairs, hitting just about every step on the way down. Then it skidded about ten feet across the floor at the bottom. It lost its battery going down, but when I picked it up and reinserted the battery it still worked.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:26 pm

This SRF M32 quit working about four years ago. It's been laying in a drawer ever since. Today, I finally got around to opening it up to see what was wrong with it. Turned out to be a bad solder joint where the battery contact spring connects to the board. When did Sony start doing sloppy work like that? I heated up the connection and gave it a tiny dab of solder. Good as new.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:27 pm

I had the Sony version of the Aiwa that bmw described above.

For me, FM reception wasn't as good as my bookshelf stereo but was still respectable. I certainly heard tabletop radios through the years with crappier reception than the walkman.

AM reception was quite good with local stations and barely acceptable with semi-local stations (such as WKZO from my listening location near Grand Rapids). More challenging stations such as 930 WBCK and the Chicago flamethrowers were only tunable if I stood in just the right spot.

BTW, Turkeytop, I actually saw a couple models of portable transistor radios at Target - in an actual, physical store - a few weeks ago! I was stunned. One version was $9.99 and I believe the other was $14.99.

I think this was the $9.99 version I saw in the store:
https://www.target.com/p/jensen-174-am- ... A-50023042

Crappy brand, but it was nice to see something like this in the store.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic