Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Small Structures All Over CKLW AM Site On Satellite Image

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Ben Zonia

Small Structures All Over CKLW AM Site On Satellite Image

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:07 pm

Someone asked what some towers directly West of Harrow were. Some said they were antennas for some type of international financial trading. They looked like windmills to me on the satellite image.

I wanted to see what the CKLW 800 towers looked like on the satellite image. Five guyed uniform section towers, a parallelogram with a fifth tower in the center. The long shadows show that the camera was to the East and taken early in the morning. There were also scores of rectangular "structures", each with a shadow, that weren't guy anchors, that were all over the lot. They were whitish on the satellite images. The only thing I could figure out is they were plastic covered bales of hay. Any other possibilities?

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Round Six

Re: Small Structures All Over CKLW AM Site On Satellite Image

Post by Round Six » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:56 pm

I believe they are rolls of hays covered with plastic. Looks to me like each is sitting on a "path" cut into the lawn by the baler machine.
And they're probably all gone by now.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:12 pm

They are probably concrete guy wire anchors !!!! I have seen that at a lot of tower sites.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:05 pm

k8jd wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:12 pm
They are probably concrete guy wire anchors !!!! I have seen that at a lot of tower sites.
Open up this link. It's Harrow Ontario. Follow Highway 20 west. It will curve north and then back west.
The tower site is on the second curve. Look at it on satellite view and zoom in. I think it's bales of hay rolled up.
Or they're raising chickens. :) .

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=harrow+ontari ... iax=images
Last edited by Round Six on Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:21 pm

Round Six wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:05 pm
k8jd wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:12 pm
Open up this link. It's Harrow Ontario. Follow Highway 20 west. It will curve north and then back west.
The tower site is on the second curve. Look at it on satellite view and zoom in. I think it's bales of hay rolled up.
Or they're raising chickens. :)

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=harrow+ontari ... iax=images
FIFY.

I think they're hay bales too.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:23 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:21 pm
I think they're hay bales too.
Thanks for the correction on direction. I should know not to lay down and look at a map :)

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:21 pm

I was looking at the latest image on google earth from this year ! Nothing in the field there, can't even get zoomed in to see guy anchors.
Went to the image you had been using and Voila ! THERE are hay cylendar bales all over the field !! :roll:

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:05 pm

k8jd wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:21 pm
I was looking at the latest image on google earth from this year ! Nothing in the field there, can't even get zoomed in to see guy anchors.
Went to the image you had been using and Voila ! THERE are hay cylendar bales all over the field !! :roll:
Yeah, it took me a bit to remember how I found the overhead view with the bales. Since you are looking at Google Maps, peruse the street view of the site. The grass is high. Makes me think letting it grow and baling it up is done on a regular basis.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic