Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

St Louis Super Tower

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Marcus

Re: St Louis Super Tower

Post by Marcus » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:07 pm

Back when 98 CHFI-FM was on the original CFTO-TV in the part of Toronto known as Agincourt, they had one of the best FM signals in the Great Lakes region. They would have stayed there forever. When the TV station moved to the CN Tower, that was no longer possible as that tower was shortened to became a studio to transmitter link. CHFI remains at 44 KW from the CN Tower which does not do well past about 75 miles or so in most situations. I think they used to be over 200 KW up until the new FM master antenna was switched on in the 1970's.

Even with the height of the CN Tower, a number of FM transmitter antennas in Michigan are still at a higher elevation than what comes from Downtown Toronto.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:55 am

Marcus wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:07 pm
Back when 98 CHFI-FM was on the original CFTO-TV in the part of Toronto known as Agincourt, they had one of the best FM signals in the Great Lakes region. They would have stayed there forever. When the TV station moved to the CN Tower, that was no longer possible as that tower was shortened to became a studio to transmitter link. CHFI remains at 44 KW from the CN Tower which does not do well past about 75 miles or so in most situations. I think they used to be over 200 KW up until the new FM master antenna was switched on in the 1970's.

Even with the height of the CN Tower, a number of FM transmitter antennas in Michigan are still at a higher elevation than what comes from Downtown Toronto.
Was the CFTO 9 tower next to 401, or the road that 401 bypassed? I remember going past the tower and nice red brick building a few times around 1960 on the way to upstate New York. When 401 was under construction, traffic backed up for hours, and there were overheated cars in the median.

Also, CKDS 95.3 Hamilton with 100 kW used to fade in and out on the Western Shore of Lake Huron, like you say about Michigan stations coming in from across the Lake. Seems like it was Beautiful Music. There weren't many FMs in Ontario outside of Toronto in 1972, and not that many on the US side. 3000 watt Class As would fade in and out for over 100 miles if there weren't many stations on the US Class A Channels. But a Class C in Canada on a Class A US frequency would blot the Class As out over a wide area.

I remember being surprised that there was a station on the same channel as CKLW-TV. Hotel rooms used to have MATV systems prone to tropo across Lake Ontario, and I remember seeing WCNY-TV 7 Carthage Watertown, NY, and a lot of cochannel lines and 10 kHz heterodynes. My mom told me there was a Waterdown fairly near the hotel where we were, and was I sure it was Watertown. That channel is WWNY-TV now. I remember seeing the Gale Storm Show on it, and that ended in 1960.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:14 am

CTV and TSN still have studios at Channel Nine Court just off the 401 in Scarborough.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:07 am

Marcus wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:14 am
CTV and TSN still have studios at Channel Nine Court just off the 401 in Scarborough.
Looks like they expanded with a less attractive center building and another red brick building, like bookends.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic