Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ohio dx to northern Michigan this afternoon

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
bmw

Ohio dx to northern Michigan this afternoon

Post by bmw » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:06 pm

A new catch for me today - and it was of decent signal strength. Driving through Tawas, I picked up 107.3 WMWV from Cleveland. They were playing Amber by 311. Per the dxinfo maps, there was some strong DX over western Lake Erie today.

Turkeytop

Re: Ohio dx to northern Michigan this afternoon

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:20 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:06 pm
A new catch for me today - and it was of decent signal strength. Driving through Tawas, I picked up 107.3 WMWV from Cleveland. They were playing Amber by 311. Per the dxinfo maps, there was some strong DX over western Lake Erie today.

Drat. All week I've been checking for DX, except today

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:57 am

I recall camping in the Tawas area, many hyears ago, getting a bunch of Detroit and Cleveland stations on the FM car radio !
Must be a good path along the Lk Huron shore.
!

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:47 pm

That thermal inversion affected the visible light spectrum last night as I could plainly see the thumb's shoreline from the Tawas shoreline (about 30 miles straight-line distance) and am also fairly certain I could see, although with less detail, Canada's shoreline (about 95 miles)

And after dark, you could see numerous blinking red lights, which, after asking somebody else who noticed it, said it was probably all the wind mills in the thumb.

I haven't seen anything like that in at least 20 years.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:34 pm

My cottage along Lake Huron near Lexington has great DX’ing in the summer. This is where I discovered DX’ing, with my grandparents 1937 Motorola AM/SW console radio. I have since included FM in my DX’ing up there with newer, portable equipment. I frequently receive Owen Sound, ON, Toronto, ON, and Erie, PA as locals. Interestingly enough, not too much in terms of receiving “interior” Michigan stations.

Almost every day, I can see across the lake to Ontario. I can see the windmills in the day, and their blinking red lights at night. Before those were built about 15-20 years ago, we could never mark the distance of our eyesight across the lake.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:44 pm

A few years ago we camped at Lakeport Park and I took some photos of the Ontario Windmills across the lake, with my Nikon camera, Zoomed to max telephoto lens. Pretty good view.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:35 pm

Some photos I took last night (or rather, video screenshots) - at about 15x zoom.

1 - Tawas Point - about 4 miles away. Nothing special here, though it is quite clear. Most interesting about this shot is that thin dark line just below the top-most part of the horizon that continues past the Point. There's never a dark line there like that - I think it MIGHT be Canada (about 95 miles away). This was much more pronounced an hour before I actually got this photo, at which time the sky was a nice dark blue but the water still this glassy-white color (a water color which I've never seen before with a nice blue sky).

2 - Not entirely sure, but probably Port Ausin (about 25-30 miles away)

3 - The clearest distant land I got. Either Charity Island (20 miles) or somewhere near Caseville (about 25 miles)

4 - Windmill lights from 25 miles out.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:12 am

Good pics. Thanks for posting.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic