Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

SiriusXM and Cancellations

A place to discuss programming, content sources & aggregator web sites, hardware, and all things related to emerging audio programming distribution technologies.
Deleted User 14992

Re: SiriusXM and Cancellations

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:54 pm

Good for you, Now on the streaming thing it’s simple if you have a smartphone (and I would think you do) Just download some radio apps and use your Bluetooth or auxiliary line in the car and bingo there it is. No subscriptions, No problem, I have at least 20 radio apps and the internet radio stations cover everything imaginable, Good luck and have fun, If you have any problems someone or myself could help you out but it’s not as complicated as you think.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu May 09, 2019 5:26 pm

If you're on a "frugal" data plan (as I used to be), all that mobile streaming can use up a lot of data pretty quickly and could push you into overage charges. I still like having a bunch of old school "presets" so I can simply just punch around between a few favorites while driving.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Thu May 09, 2019 5:32 pm

I have unlimited everything from metro so I’m cool.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu May 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Don't know if my phone is smart or not. It's on the wall in the kitchen.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:45 am

SolarMax wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:26 pm
If you're on a "frugal" data plan (as I used to be), all that mobile streaming can use up a lot of data pretty quickly and could push you into overage charges. I still like having a bunch of old school "presets" so I can simply just punch around between a few favorites while driving.
If one can afford SiriusXM, One could afford a good phone plan with unlimited data. And I was referring to Turkeytop he has SiriusXM so if he can pay for that service than he should have a good phone plan.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:50 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:05 pm
Don't know if my phone is smart or not. It's on the wall in the kitchen.
Who has a wall phone today? Or a landline anymore do you live by dinosaurs are they in your neighborhood? Do you have horse and buggies go down your street? Where the hell do you live in Amish Country.

Deleted User 15003

Post by Deleted User 15003 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:19 am

He probably has a crank up phone from the 30's he has to ask the operator to connect the call, if there's an emergency the operator has to dial 911 for him, And the EMS is a horse and buggy it could take days before he would get help.

mocom70

Post by mocom70 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:37 pm

audiophile wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:52 am
How do ya'll stand they audio quality? - It's that sounds like listening to something through blades of a slow turning fan.

Plus the high frequencies are not only synthetic - but they are bursts of noise.

Sort of like short bursts of air from a air gun in a tire shop. :rolleyes
Just picked up a mint 2005 buick lacrosse with factory xm. Have had 4 different outboard units, the last being the Stratus7.
Lots of artifacts, poor bass response. When I called to transfer the service the rep was in the U.S. and no problems with the transfer. I was pleasantly surprised at the excellent audio quality of the factory receiver. The rep gave me 3 months free since the xm in this vehicle had never been activated.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:38 am

audiophile wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:52 am
How do ya'll stand they audio quality? - It's that sounds like listening to something through blades of a slow turning fan.

Plus the high frequencies are not only synthetic - but they are bursts of noise.

Sort of like short bursts of air from a air gun in a tire shop. :rolleyes
Yep...Stern got all of the money and the customers got compression.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:16 am

The compression on Sirius was much worse in the early days of Sirius (pre-Stern). I've been a Sirius subscriber since 2004.

That being said, the audio quality has not improved at all in about a decade's time. I may hold an unpopular view, but I wish the number of channels would be reduced in order to improve overall audio quality.

As poor as Sirius XM's audio processing sounds, I've heard plenty of HD2 & HD3 FM signals that sound worse. I've even heard a few analog FM stations that sound worse (I would certainly place 89X in that category; everything sounds squooshed).

macgoldfan

Post by macgoldfan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:57 am

With satellite radios in most cars now I never understood why they didn't just have 6-10 channels going free all the time with advertising of course and pushing their service.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:44 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:16 am
The compression on Sirius was much worse in the early days of Sirius (pre-Stern). I've been a Sirius subscriber since 2004.

That being said, the audio quality has not improved at all in about a decade's time. I may hold an unpopular view, but I wish the number of channels would be reduced in order to improve overall audio quality.

As poor as Sirius XM's audio processing sounds, I've heard plenty of HD2 & HD3 FM signals that sound worse. I've even heard a few analog FM stations that sound worse (I would certainly place 89X in that category; everything sounds squooshed).
Compression as in lossy data reduction, not the DBX type of analog processing. They're pushing out twice as many shows. as they did on the same bandwidth, correct?

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:48 am

macgoldfan wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:57 am
With satellite radios in most cars now I never understood why they didn't just have 6-10 channels going free all the time with advertising of course and pushing their service.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Nobody is listening, there is no point.

Talk to people outside of this forum who're not infected with this radio hobby, and you'll find that few people "do radio".

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic