Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

XM pricing-What is the monthly promo with fees?

A place to discuss programming, content sources & aggregator web sites, hardware, and all things related to emerging audio programming distribution technologies.
MotorCityRadioFreak

XM pricing-What is the monthly promo with fees?

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:32 am

Seems like it is now impossible to pay ahead for the year for XM. They are offering plans for $4.99 per month for 12 months.I would much rather pay up front and be done with it. I was never able to get a straightforward answer to the amount per month after fees. After royalty fees, what is the cost per month?

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: XM pricing-What is the monthly promo with fees?

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:49 am

I'm paying $6.06 a month inclusive of taxes and fees.

Your price most likely would be identical to mine.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:30 pm

I first signed up for Sirius in 2005 before the merger with XM. At that time they were offering a lifetime subscription for $500. I sometimes wish I had signed up for that.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:03 am

Here's what "lifetime subscription" actually meant:
https://siriusbuzz.com/what-happens-wit ... iption.php

However, in 2021, a class action lawsuit resulted in a settlement whereby the company agreed to treat lifetime subscriptions as true lifetime subscriptions - meaning the lifetime subscription now follows the consumer who purchased it from device to device:
https://www.insideradio.com/free/nearly ... 6c9e6.html

I never purchased a lifetime subscription, but I bought a standalone Sirius tuner (which plugs into a receiver using RCA plugs) in late 2004, if I remember correctly. A tabletop square-shaped plastic antenna with a long cord plugs into the standalone tuner. Long after I moved my active account / subscription to another device, the standalone Sirius tuner continued to receive all channels it was capable of receiving! :)

The last time I cracked out that unit to see if was functional was 2016, and it still worked great! Picked up every single channel it could receive in the clear. I had no need for it, and was moving to a new house, so I ultimately threw it away.

Indoor reception of Sirius became much better once they launched a geostationary satellite to supplement their two orbiting satellites. With that tabletop tuner, I always used to lose steady reception twice daily for a couple hours each time prior to the geostationary satellite being launched. Once that new bird was in the sky, all I needed to do was aim the face of the antenna to the SW, and I could get perfect reception 24/7. Signal meter always had 2 of 3 bars lit.

XM, I believe, used geostationary satellites from day one. An old Yamaha home theater receiver had a jack to plug in a slightly larger than postage-stamp sized XM adapter, which had to be purchased separately. A tabletop antenna than plugged directly into the adapter. My XM signal strength indoors, if I aimed the antenna in the optimal direction, ranged between 45% and 50% (using whatever scale the receiver used). If the signal strength meter dropped below 40%, that's when dropouts would generally start to occur.

For about a decade, all of my SXM listening indoors has been via WiFi sent straight to my home theater receiver or via smart TV app.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Taco

Post by Taco » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:22 pm

I cancelled via chat today. It took a bit longer this time. First they offered the same package I had for $5.99/month and I declined and then they offered $3.99/month and told them I'm using Apple Music now and don't need two music services. Then they finally cancelled me.
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic