Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

80s, 90s, and Today

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
stopnswop2

80s, 90s, and Today

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:45 am

So many stations use this slogan.
"Today" consists of 3 decades??

Music is my life.

Taco

Re: 80s, 90s, and Today

Post by Taco » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:50 pm

I prefer 80's and some 90's. Not so much today.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:25 pm

Some stations now use "80s to now" or some variation, i.e. WFMK in Lansing.
Consider also that a great number of the very big CHR hits of especially 2002-2010 were hip-hop and there's not a whole lot of that (not counting the modern AC/pop-alt stuff like 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, etc.) that AC can utilize now except for the occasional Justin Timberlake or Beyonce. That changed in the '10s as artists like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga gained wider acceptance at the format and Taylor Swift went full-blown pop, making it no longer necessary for AC to develop its own artists/currents. Looking at the current WFMK sample hour posted on Mediabase for an example... four '80s, three '90s, and of the remaining 8, only one is from the 2000s ("What Goes Around Comes Around") and the rest are all 2013-now.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:53 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:25 pm
Consider also that a great number of the very big CHR hits of especially 2002-2010 were hip-hop and there's not a whole lot of that (not counting the modern AC/pop-alt stuff like 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, etc.) that AC can utilize now except for the occasional Justin Timberlake or Beyonce. That changed in the '10s as artists like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga gained wider acceptance at the format and Taylor Swift went full-blown pop, making it no longer necessary for AC to develop its own artists/currents. Looking at the current WFMK sample hour posted on Mediabase for an example... four '80s, three '90s, and of the remaining 8, only one is from the 2000s ("What Goes Around Comes Around") and the rest are all 2013-now.
I can list 100 songs off the top of my head that would fir the format from the 2000s

Music is my life.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:53 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:53 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
I can list 100 songs off the top of my head that would fir the format from the 2000s
For the most part, AC is already playing most of the big 2000s hits that aren't Hip-Hop/R&B/Rhythmic Pop and were still big enough hits to appeal to the CHR audiences of the era: "Bad Day," "Complicated," "Hey There Delilah," "Before He Cheats," "Unwritten," "This Love," "Unwell," "You and Me," "Here Without You," "Since U Been Gone," and so on - songs that are now aging out of the Hot AC demos but still liked by the AC demos. With a few exceptions like the Justin Timberlake song I mentioned, "Hips Don't Lie" or "Single Ladies," there isn't much in the way of the Hip-Hop/R&B/Rhythmic Pop that was arguably the real "box office" music of the decade. Unless you're going to broaden the definition/scope of the format to encompass more than what's liked by white women in their late 20s/30s/early 40s, I think the footprint of music from the 2000s on mainstream AC is as big as it's going to get. As for what was current on AC and Hot AC stations itself during the decade outside of the big multi-format hits, a lot of that is either too old (i.e. the "nouveau MOR" artists like Josh Groban or Norah Jones) or too obscure.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:23 pm

Do formats really matter much these days? I heard Smashmouth and Britney Spears on one of the Classic Rock stations a while back...

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:46 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:53 pm
stopnswop2 wrote:
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
For the most part, AC is already playing most of the big 2000s hits that aren't Hip-Hop/R&B/Rhythmic Pop and were still big enough hits to appeal to the CHR audiences of the era: "Bad Day," "Complicated," "Hey There Delilah," "Before He Cheats," "Unwritten," "This Love," "Unwell," "You and Me," "Here Without You," "Since U Been Gone," and so on - songs that are now aging out of the Hot AC demos but still liked by the AC demos. With a few exceptions like the Justin Timberlake song I mentioned, "Hips Don't Lie" or "Single Ladies," there isn't much in the way of the Hip-Hop/R&B/Rhythmic Pop that was arguably the real "box office" music of the decade. Unless you're going to broaden the definition/scope of the format to encompass more than what's liked by white women in their late 20s/30s/early 40s, I think the footprint of music from the 2000s on mainstream AC is as big as it's going to get. As for what was current on AC and Hot AC stations itself during the decade outside of the big multi-format hits, a lot of that is either too old (i.e. the "nouveau MOR" artists like Josh Groban or Norah Jones) or too obscure.
Take a peak at this playlist I made, which can fill a whole workday

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6DmEB ... =copy-link

Music is my life.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:29 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:46 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
stopnswop2 wrote:
ChrisWL1980 wrote:

Many great songs on your list. You'll actually hear a lot of those songs on small town stations like WLEN in Adrian, which has a very deep playlist (they've been sprinkling in Halloween songs all weekend and I heard Cher's "Dark Lady" early this morning). A number of them are already being played ad nauseam on the highly-researched corporate AC stations as well. Some of them, however, regardless of however much you or I may like them, don't test well enough or weren't big enough hits at the time to go into stations' recurrent or gold libraries.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:36 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:29 pm
stopnswop2 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:46 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
stopnswop2 wrote:
ChrisWL1980 wrote:

Many great songs on your list. You'll actually hear a lot of those songs on small town stations like WLEN in Adrian, which has a very deep playlist (they've been sprinkling in Halloween songs all weekend and I heard Cher's "Dark Lady" early this morning). A number of them are already being played ad nauseam on the highly-researched corporate AC stations as well. Some of them, however, regardless of however much you or I may like them, don't test well enough or weren't big enough hits at the time to go into stations' recurrent or gold libraries.
I wish WLEN came in my better on my home radio. Love their Friday show where they play all kinds of 60's, 70's, and 80's and even more of the deeper songs as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic