Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Broadcasters: Fulltime Daylight-Saving Time Could Kill Some AM Stns.

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
Turkeytop

Broadcasters: Fulltime Daylight-Saving Time Could Kill Some AM Stns.

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:43 pm

Here's an offshoot of the potential fulltime switch to Daylight Saving Time I'd never thought about before - what it might do to a large number of AM stations across North America.

The article notes that there are many daytime-only stations that would lose most of their morning show revenues in some months of the year, because they effectively would not be able to sign on till very late in the morning.

Other full-timers complain their protection pattern-change would come later and limit their reach during the most lucrative money-making time period of the day.

https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-bus ... t-am-radio

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Ben Zonia

Re: Broadcasters: Fulltime Daylight-Saving Time Could Kill Some AM Stns.

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:56 am

There ought to be an incentive to move Daytimers and other lesser facilities to move to better facilities that are vacated. That may explain why companies with facilities who have taken down towers are playing "keep away" from competitors. They'll extend the silent STAs as long as possible and get CPs for facilities they really don't plan to build, or keep them as Class Ds with very low PSSAs. The FCC should give the owners a good reason to transfer these facilities to competitors if they are better facilities.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun May 08, 2022 5:21 pm

Here are the Michigan stations alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... n_Michigan

This will be a problem for 660 WMIC. The translator on 95.3 doesn't go very far outside of Sandusky and WFAN New York causes interference after they sign on in the morning in parts WMIC's coverage area.

On top of that, many AM stations will be stuck with their nightime patterns during the morning drive into work each morning each Fall and Winter. Both 980 CFPL and 1290 CJBK in London,ON will not like this at all.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:46 pm

Why don't we all go back to normal standard time year around? Stop the confusion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic