Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Judge Blocks Trump Interference in VOA

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
Turkeytop

Judge Blocks Trump Interference in VOA

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:36 pm

Judge bars Trump appointee from interfering in Voice of America

A federal judge in the United States has effectively barred the head of the agency that runs the state-funded news organisation Voice of America (VOA) from interfering in editorial operations or making personnel decisions.

The ruling against US Agency for Global Media (USAGM) CEO Michael Pack comes after he was accused of trying to turn VOA into a propaganda outlet in support of Donald Trump and the US president’s agenda.

Founded during World War II, VOA has US-funded digital, broadcast and radio outlets in several countries. Some of these outlets are branches of VOA, while others operate as separate entities.

Under its congressional charter, the organisation is meant to present independent news and information to international audiences.

The lawsuit, filed in the US District Court for the District of Columbia in October by five executives who had been fired or suspended, accused Pack and his senior advisers of violating the “statutory firewall” intended to protect the news organisations from political interference.

Purges and denigration

Pack, a conservative filmmaker and previous associate of former Trump adviser Steve Bannon, was confirmed to his position in June.

Since then, he has been accused of interfering in VOA’s coverage, including calling for an investigation into a July video report on President-elect Joe Biden that he dubbed to be “pro-Biden”.

Pack had also allegedly sought to purge leadership at several VOA sister operations, including Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Radio Free Asia, Middle East Broadcasting Networks and the Open Technology Fund, which aims to provide secure internet access to people around the world.

Under Pack, foreign journalists working for VOA and other organisations also had their US visas denied, a move he said was in the interest of national security.

In an August interview with the Federalist news website, Pack said news organisations operating under USAGM were “great cover for a spy” and “from the beginning … they’ve been penetrated”.

Shortly after, 14 senior VOA journalists sent a letter to management in protest against Pack, saying his words and actions “endanger the personal security of VOA reporters at home and abroad, as well as threatening to harm US national security objectives”.
https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2020 ... of-america

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Turkeytop

Re: Judge Blocks Trump Interference in VOA

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:37 pm

Thanks for clearing this up for us, bidet.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:55 pm

Two words and one dopey picture. Not bad, bidet.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:29 am

R Bedell wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:44 am
BUT..........it is OK for the Swamp Media to be the Propaganda outlet for the DNC...???
BUT...... it has been OK for right wingnuts' own dominance of corporate AM broadcasting, and multiple cable networks and broadcast groups, to be State Media/Propaganda outlets for the RNC and its emperor...???
The media bias scale has been tipped way, way to the right for many years, the perpetual "liberal media" myth notwithstanding. The clichéd whining about "swamp media," "fake news" and trumpian third-grade name calling has worn thin and hopefully run its course.

G G

Post by G G » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:02 am

SolarMax wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:29 am
R Bedell wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:44 am
BUT..........it is OK for the Swamp Media to be the Propaganda outlet for the DNC...???
BUT...... it has been OK for right wingnuts' own dominance of corporate AM broadcasting, and multiple cable networks and broadcast groups, to be State Media/Propaganda outlets for the RNC and its emperor...???
The media bias scale has been tipped way, way to the right for many years, the perpetual "liberal media" myth notwithstanding. The clichéd whining about "swamp media," "fake news" and trumpian third-grade name calling has worn thin and hopefully run its course.
If you believe this, then you haaven't seen network news, CNN, MSNBC, and the vast number of far left blogs on the internet.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:44 am

VOA is a complete waste of taxpayer dollars. Who the f*ck is listening to shortwave radio - even in undeveloped foreign countries?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:04 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:44 am
VOA is a complete waste of taxpayer dollars. Who the f*ck is listening to shortwave radio - even in undeveloped foreign countries?
I listen to short wave every night.

Recently, North Korea executed one of its citizens for listening to Radio Free Asia.

VOA also broadcasts on the AM and FM bands from transmitters in Europe, Africa and Asia.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic