Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

How does Nielsen work

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
Deleted User 14896

How does Nielsen work

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:34 pm

Since these are general industry wide questions, I'll post them here.

As far as TV, they can tell from the cable companies who's watching what channel. Does that sound about right?

How does Nielsen work for radio?

And now something a bit out there perhaps, and I'm going to use Jimmy Kimmel as an example. But it could apply to any TV program. When I watch Kimmel, as soon as he says "We asked my cousin Sal... " or he says "We asked my Aunt Tippy ...", I will reach for the remote and see what Colbert or Fallon are doing. I don't care for those two. It's just me. Part of the reason I'd rather just have a monologue.

In the same vein, my wife watches The Nine. Depending on who's doing the show that day depends on if I sit and watch it, or go find something to do.

I said all that to say this. Would it be possible for Nielsen to ascertain if folks do what I do? Could they tell if folks are changing channels mid-program because of what the program is showing. Could Nielsen ascertain that every time Joe Blow is a guest on a late night show, folks change channels when he comes out. See what I'm getting at? Just curious.

Turkeytop

Re: How does Nielsen work

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:54 am

I don't recall now which company it was, but one of the ratings companies called me once and asked me if I'd be willing to keep a record of what I was listening to on radio. I told them I would.

The lady said first they would want to get information about me. She asked me a series of questions about gender, race, income etc. then she asked my age. When I told her she said they weren't interested in what I listened to..

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

djb

Post by djb » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:00 am

I'll be happy to answer this, as we just mailed back our diaries for the 6 days after the election.

About a month ago, we received a letter in the mail from Nielsen, stating that we've been selected to participate in radio ratings for our market. The letter included $2 in CASH. If I remember correctly, a business reply postcard was attached to the letter, in which we sent back stating we would be happy to participate. About a week and a half later, another letter confirming our willingness to participate was received, with another $2 in CASH. I then received a "kit", which contained (3) separate diaries. Up to 3 people per household, ages 12 and older can fill out the diary - and each person will receive a check for $10 once it's sent back.

The diary contains 6 days worth of broken up dayparts (Starting at 5am), where you identify which station you listened to, for how long you listened, and whether you listened at home, at work, or in a car. They ask for AM, FM, Satellite, and event internet based stations.

Another letter was received prior to the day we were to send the diaries back, reminding us to mail them out the next day, along with another $2 in CASH.

We're awaiting our $30 in checks at this time.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:12 pm

djb wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:00 am
I'll be happy to answer this, as we just mailed back our diaries for the 6 days after the election.

About a month ago, we received a letter in the mail from Nielsen, stating that we've been selected to participate in radio ratings for our market. The letter included $2 in CASH. If I remember correctly, a business reply postcard was attached to the letter, in which we sent back stating we would be happy to participate. About a week and a half later, another letter confirming our willingness to participate was received, with another $2 in CASH. I then received a "kit", which contained (3) separate diaries. Up to 3 people per household, ages 12 and older can fill out the diary - and each person will receive a check for $10 once it's sent back.

The diary contains 6 days worth of broken up dayparts (Starting at 5am), where you identify which station you listened to, for how long you listened, and whether you listened at home, at work, or in a car. They ask for AM, FM, Satellite, and event internet based stations.

Another letter was received prior to the day we were to send the diaries back, reminding us to mail them out the next day, along with another $2 in CASH.

Thanks for the reply.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:00 pm

djb wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:00 am

What stations did you list?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

djb

Post by djb » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:47 am

audiophile wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:00 pm
What stations did you list?
For me, a mix between WKQZ and WMJO. There was one day I was messing with my SDR, so I logged WJR for an hour as well. I logged WIOG in my diary the few times we were together in our vehicles.

My daughter is pretty much exclusively WIOG when she's not watching Youtube. My wife logged a mix of WIOG and WGER.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic