Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Thoughts on daily news conferences

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
radioandtventhusiast

Thoughts on daily news conferences

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:12 pm

What are your thoughts on all these daily news conferences? I personally think many of them are important, but I'm finally getting tired of them every single day. Today's conference in Ohio pretty much talked only about wearing masks when you need to go out, and then turned into a discussion about the latest news in health. The only real important news lately has been the lockdown currently until the end of this month. With people pretty much staying in their homes, I think people are going to get tired of missing their shows due to these conferences. I think it's time to move them to every 3 days. How often are the stations in your markets airing them, if at all?

WC8KCY

Re: Thoughts on daily news conferences

Post by WC8KCY » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:06 am

I would much prefer that the briefings occur on an as-needed basis; e.g., when there is a significant development to report.

To be brutally honest, most of these news conferences are like The Curse of Oak Island: they take a half hour, or even longer, to present 90 seconds' worth of information. It's not respectful of my time and attention, and certainly not considerate of commercial broadcasters.

The news radio station I listen to most, WTMJ Milwaukee, has of late not been airing the news conferences live, opting instead to later provide a digest of the information related. That approach works for me.

Historical note: As television coverage of Watergate dragged on in the 1970s and viewers became increasingly frustrated with program pre-emptions, the Big Three networks eventually rotated coverage on a week-by-week basis and some coverage went to PBS. Perhaps this could be done with the White House briefings.
Last edited by WC8KCY on Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:10 am

They are political rallies, not news conferences.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:14 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:10 am
They are political rallies, not news conferences.
That's definitely true for sure especially with Trump, I mean, why else would he have the MyPillow guy, Mike Lindell, appear at his conferences?

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:30 pm

WC8KCY wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:06 am
To be brutally honest, most of these news conferences are like The Curse of Oak Island: they take a half hour, or even longer, to present 90 seconds' worth of information. It's not respectful of my time and attention, and certainly not considerate of commercial broadcasters.

The news radio station I listen to most, WTMJ Milwaukee, has of late not been airing the news conferences live, opting instead to later provide a digest of the information related. That approach works for me.
A public radio station in Seattle opted not to carry any of Trump's news conferences, as they felt they had no substance whatsoever:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/sea ... 48492.html

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:07 pm

The only person who should be getting time in these briefings is Fauci. Maybe then these meetings would have some substance.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic