Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NOAA Weather Radio

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
HD74

Re: NOAA Weather Radio

Post by HD74 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:27 pm

I have NOAA receivers in my barns, as sometimes when I'm wrenching, I'm not paying attention to what's going on outside unless something like a H*** wind gust comes blasting.
On the road, my CB's have wx band on them. I find them handy for when you find yourself in a parking lot that is supposed to be a freeway.
I don't really like some of the crap on the CB, but now I've gotten into the GMRS, which is the big person version of those little FRS walkie talkies everybody sells.
My GMRS radios also monitor NOAA. I can say I've been without cell coverage, but I am always in NOAA's shadow.
I found out that when in wx mode, if I hit the PTT button on my radio, it will change the NOAA channel, which led me to find that they all use a different weird sounding voice, they even have male and female versions of that artificial larynx, which pronounces some things in the strangest ways.
I call them all "Peggy".

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:10 am

I liked it a whole lot better when there were another 250 local offices and they could have real meteorologists read the forecasts on the 'tape carts', and they had a way to 'cycle' them so you only heard the marine observations every 3rd time around or climate data maybe every 5th time around. Only the forecast and hourly weather-roundup ran every cycle. And since 25% of cellphones are NOT smartphones, I liked when the local offices used to have an hourly RADAR update- that would be helpful when you don't have a smartphone, and a squall line in coming down from GR to Fort Wayne, but there not any warnings yet, but to let the public know about the storm coming and approximate arrival time. Still use it almost daily for the past 32 years.

My BIG beef- the Feds did NOT give the NWR network money to tie-into the PEP's for a national emergency; so when my cellphone is OFF all night recharging, and Trump and Kim exchange warheads at 2am, my NOAA Weather Radio can't carry the National Alert. I don't understand that- as most of use have our WX radios on 24/7 and the S.A.M.E. radios only alert for your county, but when all hell breaks loose, you don't get a Presidential Warning, or a NPT- nothing; that is a waste of a large network for sure.

I still don't see why car radios with HD radio can't have a NWR tuner as there is a display that could show the alert.

And, for what it's worth, my Kenwood HD radio will show a Required Weekly Test from WEMU/NPR stations in Michigan, and even buffer it into memory showing the originating station, times and counties covered by the RWT - surprised that they don't advertise that feature - and only the Michigan NPR station for Washtenaw county triggers it for me, but, none in Ohio? I thought maybe it was an RDS thing, but must be only an HD-thing?

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:13 am

WOHO wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:10 am
My BIG beef- the Feds did NOT give the NWR network money to tie-into the PEP's for a national emergency; so when my cellphone is OFF all night recharging, and Trump and Kim exchange warheads at 2am, my NOAA Weather Radio can't carry the National Alert. I don't understand that- as most of use have our WX radios on 24/7 and the S.A.M.E. radios only alert for your county, but when all hell breaks loose, you don't get a Presidential Warning, or a NPT- nothing; that is a waste of a large network for sure.
That is frustrating. I like the idea of my weather radio being an all-hazards public alert radio. I just want one device to alert me to anything I need to be awoken for. Ideally, that one device should not be reliant on mobile phone infrastructure. Weather alert radios have the capability; its too bad its not better utilized.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:25 am

I liked it a whole lot better when there were another 250 local offices and they could have real meteorologists read the forecasts on the 'tape carts', and they had a way to 'cycle' them so you only heard the marine observations every 3rd time around or climate data maybe every 5th time around.
AMEN!!! :)

Could not agree more!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic