Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Switching to/from another station's signal for network shows

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
Milk

Re: Switching to/from another station's signal for network s

Post by Milk » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:24 am

I remembered back in the 90s when Fox 33 in northern Michigan carried WJBK Fox 2's news, they used their feed for Fox shows and sometimes, a Fox 2 ID would appear on the screen.

I wonder how 9&10 and 7&4 handled it if the stations they bummed their signals from had IDs on the screen.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:32 pm

Milk wrote:I remembered back in the 90s when Fox 33 in northern Michigan carried WJBK Fox 2's news, they used their feed for Fox shows and sometimes, a Fox 2 ID would appear on the screen.

I wonder how 9&10 and 7&4 handled it if the stations they bummed their signals from had IDs on the screen.
Here's how a station in Springfield, MA had to deal with it when they played a game from a station in Boston!
https://youtu.be/kAhawXEpK1c

Of course that was annoying!

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:30 pm

Milk wrote:I remembered back in the 90s when Fox 33 in northern Michigan carried WJBK Fox 2's news, they used their feed for Fox shows and sometimes, a Fox 2 ID would appear on the screen.
Did they ever forget to drop the Detroit-specific ads to show those intended for the northern Michigan market?

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

Ben Zonia

Re: Switching to/from another station's signal for network shows

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:11 pm

I think that WWTV had Microwave links directly from WKZO-TV. Both were owned by John Fetzer. I never saw off air links for WKZO-TV. This probably had to do with the prevalence of Sporadic E in the 60-66 MHz causing very bad and varying cochannel interference. Also, they could result in the same offset cochannel interference, usually resulting in a wide black band covering much of the screen. High Band 7-13 was better, and WPBN had the two from WNEM and WOOD-TV.

Rapid Cablevision in Big Rapids had a great off air setup which worked well. They had three sets of network affiliates, and 4 Bay 10 element Yagi-Logs for many of them, on the 420 foot WBRN 5/8 wavelength tower.

As I recall from looking at the size and directional orientation of the off air antennas, here was the line up.

3 WKZO-TV CBS
5 WNEM-TV NBC
6 WJIM-TV CBS
7 WPBN-TV NBC
8 WOOD-TV NBC
9 WWTV CBS
10 WILX-TV NBC
12 WJRT-TV ABC
13 WZZM-TV ABC
29 WGTU ABC
35 WGVU-TV

They were just about all good enough for network use in my opinion. I think they may have put on 17 later. Over the years, they took off less used channels and substituted new stations and cable channels. If you were on a modest hill near there, all of these came in quite well with a modest antenna. You could even see WJBK-TV 2 and WWJ-TV/WDIV 4 much of the time. Not great, but there.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic