All accepted registrations through June 15 at 7:00a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

writing to radio/TV stations

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
++++

writing to radio/TV stations

Post by ++++ » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:37 am

I'm a dx'er and not in nor have ever been in radio.
Here's the question. I'll write for a QSL, sometimes in including a clip. No response.
Will write asking on a stations' format or other question pertaining to a station feature. Nothing. Have written to two UP TV stations which, despite public persona, can't take 3 seconds to say thank you for writing.
On the other hand, there are some very, very good folk who answer and reply to a simple question and who know the meaning of "public service."
Here is the question. Do these e-mails go into the stations' public file? It's just unbelievable that there is so little contact.
I guess if I told them I wanted to buy some spots on said station.

audiophile

Re: writing to radio/TV stations

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:11 pm

Send a SASE and you'll have better results...

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:58 pm

The first thing is stations are mostly under no obligation to write back. Stations can get enough correspondence, even in the UP, that it could take a full time position to personally answer all of it. And yes, public correspondance is supposed to go in the file.

If you're writing for a QSL card, even an e-card, I'd forget it. A radio or TV station's engineering specs, format, affiliation are all over the web to meet any sort of public obligation. And since stations serve markets they'd rather know if you can't get them in a part of their market rather than if you can get them outside of their market. But, it doesn't mean all stations don't offer that courtesy anymore.

You can increase your chances if you e-mail to a specific person, by name. Or, if you post the question on social media like the station's web page or Facebook page. Its kinda hard for a station to ignore a question out in public.

HugeEGO

Post by HugeEGO » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:53 pm

Don't forget that if "writing" means e-mail, there's no guarantee you'll get past even the simplest of spam filters! Key words in your subject line, content, and the fact you're not part of their usual correspondence can block you before you even get there! I assume since you refer to " a few seconds" to respond, you're not looking for real postal mail. If something is THAT important to you, follow up with a phone call! What can it hurt?

Stations have small staffs these days! Many times your contact may also be the overworked office manager, or a host, or your communication may be passed on to the engineer. Might be good to even call first to ask to whom you should send your very polite reception report.

It still does make many stations, radio and TV happy to know they're heard or seen in faraway places, it's one of those, "oh wow" moments for true broadcasters. For bean counters, they don't give a crap....but you have at least a 50/50 chance it'll make someone's day!

Oh, and don't expect e-mails to truly go to the public file. That rule precedes e-mail, is still there, but is so unreal....it's not likely. The file would be H*** and unmanageable. Selective filing is undoubtedly the way all public files are being treated.

++++

Post by ++++ » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:37 pm

Thank you all for honest answers. I guess it's like being in line at a store. It's a crap shoot. Good, bad, etc. Again, thanks!

zzand

Post by zzand » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:18 pm

To reply from the inside. My company has a supply of jar openers and fridge magnets that we send when we get letters with SASE's. We always drop a note in thanking the writer and if we get an email we respond. We stopped sending the trinkets when one person sent them back demanding bumper stickers and three station t-shirts in specific sizes. I am sure we aren't the only station that has dealt with greedy people who think they are entitled to whatever they want because they caught our signal from 6 states away or where ever. That is another factor in not hearing back from stations these days. And yes, we drop them in our public file.

HugeEGO

Post by HugeEGO » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:19 pm

Forgot those stupid asterisks would fill in for a legitimate word hijacked by the south end of a horse going north.

++++

Post by ++++ » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:45 pm

I belong to a few dx clubs. I know a few years ago there was a letter concerning (in the bulletin) people who "demanded" a QSL card. The author, rightfully so, said how saddened he was by the behavior of some.
I guess I am from a different generation. Please and thank you can take you pretty far in life, but you're right. I too, know of a-holes in the hobby, thus stay away from them. Unreal. Again, thank you!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:56 pm

I've had pretty good success over the years in getting QSLs from commercial AM and FM broadcasters.

I use SASE if writing to a Canadian station. If the station is in the U.S. I usually enclose $1 U.S.

My most recent QSL from the U.S. was last May, WFME 1560, New York.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:32 pm

So you see the theme here, Plus?
A written letter with a sase envelope in it.
That's how you qsl.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:57 am

Turkeytop wrote:I've had pretty good success over the years in getting QSLs from commercial AM and FM broadcasters.

I use SASE if writing to a Canadian station. If the station is in the U.S. I usually enclose $1 U.S.

My most recent QSL from the U.S. was last May, WFME 1560, New York.
FYI: It's now $1.20 US...

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic