All accepted registrations through June 15 at 7:00a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

FCC call letter question on implementation

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
++++

FCC call letter question on implementation

Post by ++++ » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:42 pm

I've been a dx'er for a long, long time.

Have seen where call letters were requested, never used, parked or used maybe a week/month after assigned.

What is the exact rule, if any, on when call letters can/must be used.

Thank you!

jry

Re: FCC call letter question on implementation

Post by jry » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:02 pm

You cannot "park" calls. They must be assigned to a station. I believe that you have just 30 days to make the change.
Here is an odd deal. I had a station in Flint that bore the call letters "WGRI". We did Urban Gospel. I sold that to K Love in 2001 or so. They changed the calls to WAKL.
Two years ago, we decided to flip a Cincinnati station to the same format. For grins, i thought that i'd see what was happening to those calls. The FCC had them assigned to Flint, MI but no station was listed. They were just "locked" there. My attorney got them released with just a simple note, mentioning their goof. We got the calls.

++++

Post by ++++ » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:59 pm

The two I was thinking of was 92.3 in Fort Wayne which is not using the calls yet, but I guess the beginning of the year.

1650 in Fort Smith, AR, was KHYN, then WFSM I believe and now it's another. The WFSM was never used, and the second set was not used for three weeks or so.

Thank you for a straight, honest answer. I guess the answer I was looking for was that they didn't have to be used immediately.

Again, thank you!

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:30 pm

jry wrote:You cannot "park" calls. They must be assigned to a station. I believe that you have just 30 days to make the change.
Another definition of call sign "parking" was to assign them to another station out of town, then reassign them back to a station in its legacy area when the time is right.
jry wrote:Here is an odd deal. I had a station in Flint that bore the call letters "WGRI". We did Urban Gospel. I sold that to K Love in 2001 or so. They changed the calls to WAKL.
Two years ago, we decided to flip a Cincinnati station to the same format. For grins, i thought that i'd see what was happening to those calls. The FCC had them assigned to Flint, MI but no station was listed. They were just "locked" there. My attorney got them released with just a simple note, mentioning their goof. We got the calls.
In 1979, an AM daytimer in Atlanta wanted the "WKRP" callsign, but was unable to, as the producers of "WKRP in Cincinnati", MTM Enterprises, requested a hold on the calls. the Atlanta station was able to get the callsign, after explaining to the FCC that MTM did not own any stations, nor had plans to do so.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:04 am

rugratsonline wrote:
jry wrote:You cannot "park" calls. They must be assigned to a station. I believe that you have just 30 days to make the change.
Another definition of call sign "parking" was to assign them to another station out of town, then reassign them back to a station in its legacy area when the time is right.
jry wrote:Here is an odd deal. I had a station in Flint that bore the call letters "WGRI". We did Urban Gospel. I sold that to K Love in 2001 or so. They changed the calls to WAKL.
In 1979, an AM daytimer in Atlanta wanted the "WKRP" callsign, but was unable to, as the producers of "WKRP in Cincinnati", MTM Enterprises, requested a hold on the calls. the Atlanta station was able to get the callsign, after explaining to the FCC that MTM did not own any stations, nor had plans to do so.
That WKRP story is f**ked up

God>GOP
GOP≠God
Politics=Hate
Hate=Satan
Politics=Satan

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:38 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Not quite sure about your story, because the WKRP calls were on a low power TV station for several years.

Right now the WKRP calls are also on a low power FM in Raleigh, NC.

WBQC-LD in Cincinniati is branded as WKRP in almost everyway, except their official calls for legal ID's are WBQC-LD.

Here is more from Wikipedia:

WKRP is a call sign that has been used by several broadcast stations. It was made famous in the American sitcoms WKRP in Cincinnati and The New WKRP in Cincinnati, which portray a fictional radio station with that call sign.
Radio stations

WKRP-LP (FM), a low power FM station in Raleigh, North Carolina which signed on in December 2015.
WDPC 1500, Atlanta, Georgia, which was WKRP from its initial sign-on in 1979 until becoming WDPC in 1989
KMRI, Salt Lake City, Utah, branded "W KRPN Salt Lake City" in the 1980s

Television stations

WBQC-LD, Cincinnati, Ohio, branded "WKRP-TV Cincinnati" since 2008
WLPX-TV, Charleston, West Virginia, designated WKRP-TV from 1988 to 1998
WKWT-LP, Key West, Florida, which held the call sign WKRP-LP from 2009 to 2011
WRTN-LP, Nashville, Tennessee, which held the call sign WKRP-LP in 2005 to 2009
WDDN-LD, Washington, D.C., known as WKRP-LP from 1998 to 2005

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:47 am

Not to diminish WKRP; I loved it at the time and still enjoy anytime I can see a rerun. Some of the bits are classic, and it does very much portray a lot of radio of the time....and to some degree, still does.

However, there are fewer and fewer people alive every day that remember, and are endeared to, a show from 33+ years ago. That might help explain the wandering use of the callsign....some people are passionate enough about the memory to go to all the trouble to get the call....but perhaps not enough such people to make it a commercial success at any one place.

Two examples:

I was struggling for an example of 'steam punk' the other day, and used "The Wild, Wild West" as an example. I got blank faces from all but one person. That show was a CLASSIC.

I happened to meet up with Maureen McCormick a while back, and had dessert with her and talked. My wife took a picture of us, and I've showed it around to friends....although she looks "the same", much fewer people than you would think (but more than the Wild Wild West, apparently :razz ) remember the show.

Both were pretty 'big stuff' TV.....

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:04 pm

I was struggling for an example of 'steam punk' the other day, and used "The Wild, Wild West" as an example. I got blank faces from all but one person. That show was a CLASSIC.

I happened to meet up with Maureen McCormick a while back, and had dessert with her and talked. My wife took a picture of us, and I've showed it around to friends....although she looks "the same", much fewer people than you would think (but more than the Wild Wild West, apparently :razz ) remember the show.

Both were pretty 'big stuff' TV.....[/quote]

Wild Wild West was a good show, but never had the strong rerun life of something like Batman or Star Trek. I would guess its rerun life is something like Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea.

These days people might recognized Maureen McCormick from that bizarre Snickers ad with Danny Trejo and Steve Buschemi, ("you get a little hostile when your hungry.")

jry

Post by jry » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:02 pm

I did use the term "Park" incorrectly. Yes, many will have a call sign assigned to a station out of market, then move them back when the time is right.
Maybe "tie them up" is a better term?

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:28 pm

There is another class of station that uses three and four letter call letter sequences, or did the last I knew. It was the Merchant Marine as I recall. You could request that a station in that service relinquish a set of those call letters so a broadcast service station could use them. It is a little known loophole.

Call letters which include the initials of a sitting President are not permissible. Oddly enough, the WRMN 1410 Elgin, IL callsign was authorized right before Richard Milhous Nixon became President, so it was grandfathered. Many others were grandfathered, such as KLBJ, long before the President took office.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:34 pm

tvbobn wrote:
rugratsonline wrote:
Not quite sure about your story, because the WKRP calls were on a low power TV station for several years.

Right now the WKRP calls are also on a low power FM in Raleigh, NC.

WBQC-LD in Cincinniati is branded as WKRP in almost everyway, except their official calls for legal ID's are WBQC-LD.

Here is more from Wikipedia:

WKRP is a call sign that has been used by several broadcast stations. It was made famous in the American sitcoms WKRP in Cincinnati and The New WKRP in Cincinnati, which portray a fictional radio station with that call sign.
Radio stations

WKRP-LP (FM), a low power FM station in Raleigh, North Carolina which signed on in December 2015.
WDPC 1500, Atlanta, Georgia, which was WKRP from its initial sign-on in 1979 until becoming WDPC in 1989
KMRI, Salt Lake City, Utah, branded "W KRPN Salt Lake City" in the 1980s

Television stations

WBQC-LD, Cincinnati, Ohio, branded "WKRP-TV Cincinnati" since 2008
WLPX-TV, Charleston, West Virginia, designated WKRP-TV from 1988 to 1998
WKWT-LP, Key West, Florida, which held the call sign WKRP-LP from 2009 to 2011
WRTN-LP, Nashville, Tennessee, which held the call sign WKRP-LP in 2005 to 2009
WDDN-LD, Washington, D.C., known as WKRP-LP from 1998 to 2005
If you notice the 1500 Atlanta station under radio stations mentions a 1979 sign on... That adds credence to the story posted above as he also mentioned 1979, AM station and Atlanta wanting WKRP for a call sign. All other uses come after that.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:33 am

Interesting topic. I was playing around with the data base the other day. I tried a few combinations and it came back that some were reserved for the coast guard. feeling immature :) I did try a couple of combinations, Lets just say I don't think a few of those will ever be assigned. :lol:

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:46 pm

Fingerboard Corners wrote:Call letters which include the initials of a sitting President are not permissible. Oddly enough, the WRMN 1410 Elgin, IL callsign was authorized right before Richard Milhous Nixon became President, so it was grandfathered. Many others were grandfathered, such as KLBJ, long before the President took office.
KLBJ AM and FM were originally known as KTBC AM and FM, which were owned by Lyndon B Johnson and his family long before he became president. KTBC's radio operations became KLBJ in 1973 following Johnson's death that year. The TV station remained KTBC-TV (now a Fox O&O), while Emmis owns both KLBJ AM and FM today.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:56 am

Call letters have been strategically parked on active frequencies in the past. When 92.1 WLNZ in Lansing flipped to a CHR format as The Ape 92 in the late 80's, Goodrich Broadcasting applied for the call sign WAAP and had them temporarily assigned to WVIC-AM, the idea being to prevent Ape 92 from getting those calls (they eventually took the calls WGOR). The WAAP calls were quickly mentioned on AM 730 once an hour, and since nobody really listened to WVIC's AM side, it was hardly noticeable.

Another example was when 99.5 WABX in Detroit flipped to AC and adopted the call letters WCLS. Paul Christy had the WABX calls assigned to AM 990 in Clare (which he purchased along with 95.3 WCFX). Although the calls had no significance up there, word was that Christy parked the calls in case someone in Detroit wanted them later on, in which case they would hold some value.

Speaking of 92.1, when they adopted the moniker The Lazer in 1985, the FM calls were changed to WLNZ. 1580 AM was assigned the calls WGZS in anticipation of a Christian format that never materialized (the AM side remained a simulcast of 92.1). Although 1580 was legally WGZS for a few weeks while the application was made to change it to WLNZ to match the FM, those calls were never used on-air. Back then, all call-letter applications and assignments were documented in Broadcasting magazine.

It's okay to be bored once in a while.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:33 pm

Cumulus has been playing callsign roulette in the Toledo market since the FCC told them 10 years was long enough to fix 1470 or hand in the license last month.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic