Welcome to the Buzzboard! By viewing or posting any content on this site, you are agreeing to the TERMS OF USE! So, please take a moment to read them if this is your first visit or have not done so in a while. All accepted registrations through Sunday, August 10 at 8:00a ET have been activated.  

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bakita leaving
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:02 pm 

MW...I think your ideas of Neal or Phil would be better choices, but Bakita did tell his soon to be former bosses he was leaving to replace Gary Allen. That, in part, is a half-truth. Steve Kelly was always the successor to Gary, and Brett will be doing Steve's role. For the next 6 months while Brett waits out his non-compete he will host a show in another state from the WOOD/ESPN Studios.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:09 am 

This morning I tuned in a there is Barber, Tierney & Jacobson. As in Tiki Barber and Dana Jacobson another former ESPN employee.

Not surprising but the little I know about radio is the last thing WBBL would want is the next week to be a Good Bye Brett Bakita tribute show. So that wasn't surprising. But then I don't think 6-9 AM radio was a good fit for Ray Bentley either based on his delivery.

WVFN (730AM) is reportedly going to delay Simonson and run his show at 6:00 pm. That means anyone outside of a 4 block radius won't hear it if they choose to listen to Jack. I used to live in Lansing and 730 is like 1340 in GR.

The protector is gone. Jack Ebling has a rolodex like no one else and he hasn't insulted other members of the media. Since so much of sports talk is columnists interviewing other columnists it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that Jack would start to pick off stations like Flint, Mt. Pleasant etc. Add in Ebling is probably working cheaper so fill in the blanks.

Bring a good point about 6 month or even 12 month no competes. No way ESPN 96.1 takes Mike and Mike off the air but I can see Bakita doing management stuff, getting his high school football and basketball play by play (which he loves) going next fall and sliding in to the 1-3 slot which is a weak spot.

ps
Personally I would love to see 96.1 pick up Dan Patrick and JT The Brick but I suspect the ESPN contract precludes some of that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:21 am 

Quote:
What else would WOOD replace Gary with? How about Phil Tower or Neal Dionne. Most of their audience has no bleepin' clue who Bret Bakita is. BBL's cume during morning drive time is minuscule compared to WOOD Radio. This isn't to say your theory must be wrong. I think it is a legitimate possibility. I am simply disagreeing with part of your rationale.

MW, what you wrote makes sense. 15 years ago. Radio no longer thinks rationally or in favor of what the listener needs, wants, expects, ect. Neal Dionne wants $$$. Phil Tower will want $$$ to do mornings and Phil may not stick around. Bakita is cemented to this area and he will work cheap.

There is a nick name that some people refer to CC as.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:25 am 

Also don't underestimate Bakita's relationship (love affair) with MSU as when WBBl's contract up that might get 96.1 to up the ante if not for the Spartans but the rest of 107.3 sports contracts.

OneBigFan wrote:
This morning I tuned in a there is Barber, Tierney & Jacobson. As in Tiki Barber and Dana Jacobson another former ESPN employee.

Not surprising but the little I know about radio is the last thing WBBL would want is the next week to be a Good Bye Brett Bakita tribute show. So that wasn't surprising. But then I don't think 6-9 AM radio was a good fit for Ray Bentley either based on his delivery.

WVFN (730AM) is reportedly going to delay Simonson and run his show at 6:00 pm. That means anyone outside of a 4 block radius won't hear it if they choose to listen to Jack. I used to live in Lansing and 730 is like 1340 in GR.

The protector is gone. Jack Ebling has a rolodex like no one else and he hasn't insulted other members of the media. Since so much of sports talk is columnists interviewing other columnists it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that Jack would start to pick off stations like Flint, Mt. Pleasant etc. Add in Ebling is probably working cheaper so fill in the blanks.

Bring a good point about 6 month or even 12 month no competes. No way ESPN 96.1 takes Mike and Mike off the air but I can see Bakita doing management stuff, getting his high school football and basketball play by play (which he loves) going next fall and sliding in to the 1-3 slot which is a weak spot.

ps
Personally I would love to see 96.1 pick up Dan Patrick and JT The Brick but I suspect the ESPN contract precludes some of that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:11 am 
Site Admin

Snatching the Spartans from WBBL would be tough. MSU's flagship is 760 WJR in Detroit (Cumulus). In Lansing, they air on a combination of Cumulus stations, the most significant being 94.9 WMMQ.

I suspect MSU's current deal with Cumulus (Citadel) is a multi-market, multi-station deal.

Add to all of that the fact WMAX's reception in the immediate Grand Rapids area is inferior to WBBL, I see no compelling reason for MSU to pen a deal with 96.1.

I cannot help but wonder if Doug will plug Bakita into the PM Drive spot currently occupied by Sean Baligian. I hope not. I think adding a local show in middays would be better.

As far as other play-by-play opportunities are concerned, I do not see many feasible options out there. Why would the Tigers want to leave 97LAV for a station with inferior coverage in Kent County? Same thing for the Lions vis-a-vis WBBL.

The only low hanging fruit I see consists of the Pistons or Wings due to schedule conflicts that frequently cause one of the two teams to be preempted on 107.3.

http://www.chatsports.com/michigan-wolverines/a/Michigan-football-covered-up-rape-allegations-and-threats-of-violence-then-lied-about-it-people-need-to-be-fired-immediately-10-2-4830

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:32 am 

I'm suggesting because Bakita knows the contracts of WBBL he can put some bids so as to having Cumulus raise the offer. I could easily see the Pistons going over to 96.1.

MWmetalhead wrote:
Snatching the Spartans from WBBL would be tough. MSU's flagship is 760 WJR in Detroit (Cumulus). In Lansing, they air on a combination of Cumulus stations, the most significant being 94.9 WMMQ.

I suspect MSU's current deal with Cumulus (Citadel) is a multi-market, multi-station deal.

Add to all of that the fact WMAX's reception in the immediate Grand Rapids area is inferior to WBBL, I see no compelling reason for MSU to pen a deal with 96.1.

I cannot help but wonder if Doug will plug Bakita into the PM Drive spot currently occupied by Sean Baligian. I hope not. I think adding a local show in middays would be better.

As far as other play-by-play opportunities are concerned, I do not see many feasible options out there. Why would the Tigers want to leave 97LAV for a station with inferior coverage in Kent County? Same thing for the Lions vis-a-vis WBBL.

The only low hanging fruit I see consists of the Pistons or Wings due to schedule conflicts that frequently cause one of the two teams to be preempted on 107.3.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:19 pm 

MWmetalhead wrote:
Most of their audience has no bleepin' clue who Bret Bakita is. BBL's cume during morning drive time is minuscule compared to WOOD Radio.

Add me to the "no bleepin' clue" list. I never heard of the dude until this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:29 pm 

Radio1 wrote:
There is a nick name that some people refer to CC as.

Cheap Channel? I think Rick Beckett originally coined that phrase in this town before going to work for them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:16 am 

Bakita must be the guy to trust @ WBBL. He gave his notice and after a day's absence they put him back on the air and are having a good bye show today 27Feb'13.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 am 

OneBigFan wrote:
Bakita must be the guy to trust @ WBBL. He gave his notice and after a day's absence they put him back on the air and are having a good bye show today 27Feb'13.

Nice tribute to a long time local figure and the face of BBL.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:45 pm 

This was on M-Live:
Bakita, who joined a fledgling WBBL in May 1994, has accepted a job with Clear Channel Communications doing sports radio work for Wisconsin stations in Milwaukee at WOKY-AM (920) and Madison at WTSO (1070-AM).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:05 pm 

He will be broadcasting from his home.

Suttons1 wrote:
This was on M-Live:
Bakita, who joined a fledgling WBBL in May 1994, has accepted a job with Clear Channel Communications doing sports radio work for Wisconsin stations in Milwaukee at WOKY-AM (920) and Madison at WTSO (1070-AM).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:32 pm 

NewzKiller wrote:

Suttons1 wrote:
This was on M-Live

Broadcasting from his home? I don't think CC is going to pay for a home studio so some guy in GR can broadcast local sports to Milwaukee.

I want to know what Bakita's duties will be at CC-Grand Rapids?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:39 pm 

Don't know just following up what the Grand Rapids Mess reported today. Is it some type of shell game so he can stay here while he awaits the expiration of no compete? Most likely and not sure what the typical length of no compete is.

Radio1 wrote:
NewzKiller wrote:

Suttons1 wrote:
This was on M-Live

Broadcasting from his home? I don't think CC is going to pay for a home studio so some guy in GR can broadcast local sports to Milwaukee.

I want to know what Bakita's duties will be at CC-Grand Rapids?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:06 pm 

Agree with Newzkiller about the shell game going on at Monroe Center. CC just hired some new talkent at WBFX. now this guy. CC doesn't do things like this unless they "make room".