Welcome to the Buzzboard! By viewing or posting any content on this site, you are agreeing to the TERMS OF USE! So, please take a moment to read them if this is your first visit or have not done so in a while. All accepted registrations through Sunday, August 10 at 8:00a ET have been activated.  

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Former WNEM 5 anchors
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:54 am 

Whatever happened to former WNEM 5 sports anchor Marc Wesley?? Did he die of cancer & what year?? Whatever happened to Jim Adams?? Did he too die & what year?? Finally, Whatever happened to former WNEM 5 weekend anchor Joe Palcek (who did WNEM in the mid to late 70's)?? Did he too die & what year?? I thought that Joe had PBB poisoning back then.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:30 pm 

The last I heard Marc Wesley was in poor health, Jim Adams died several years ago from a heart attack when he was a union rep with NABET in Washington DC. I believe his widow returned to Saginaw to live. As far as Joe, I have no idea where he is or if he is still alive. Gene Riley is still living in Saginaw, I know he was a pastor at a local church. Jim Rush, Jim Peyton, Jake Jackobson, Chuck Waters, and Chet Ragoza have all passed away.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:01 pm 

I remember Jim Peyton and Chuck Waters. Great to watch. I do miss the Take 5 program with Dick Fabian and Leslie Davis.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:16 pm 

Joe died in 2007 according to this site:

http://www.thedeadballera.com/Obits/MinorLeaguers/Obits_P/Palcek.Sonny.Obit.html

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:28 pm 

You will never see talent like you saw back in the 50's, 60's, and early 70's again on local TV. There are no more local kids shows, or anything of the sort, those days are long gone. All you hear today are announcers that are prerecorded from some national voice. It's all cookie cutter. You now have beginners starting the business in major markets, its' not like the days of paying dues in smaller and medium sized markets. The broadcast business is just a shell of what it once was when it comes to on air talent. The human element has also been taken out of the equation when it comes to engineering with automated control rooms, robotic cameras, not to mention reporters going out in the field being a one person band running the camera as well as reporting the stories. It's just a fact of iife in the 21st century. :(

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:22 pm 

Things weren't so politically correct back then.

I expect the TV-5 front office ordered it, but he was originally on the air as "Joe Stevens."

Later, I'd say after five years or so, he began using his real name of Joe Palcek. I always figured they should have used that name all along. It would never happen today.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:35 pm 

Remembering the names of other TV-5 anchors and/or reporters (seems like everybody anchored at one time or another back then) -- how about Roberta (Bobbi) Wray in Flint, Tom Eynon and (way back) sports with Virgil O'Dell (who always said, "Remember, if you can't PLAY sports, you BE ONE.")

Previously mentioned, Chuck Waters (who had been Captain Muddy showing afternoon cartoons) would always end his reports saying, "That's 73s on sports." Dick Fabian had left WKNX Radio (and occasionally WKNX-TV 57) and is still around Saginaw.

And, nobody has mentioned Kenny Roberts, the Yodeling Cowboy, who did an TV-5 afternoon cartoon show in the mid-60s (I looked him up recently -- still alive and occasionally performing.) I know he wasn't an anchor, but his "Cheer Up - Things Could Be Worse" song got pretty popular.

How about adding a few more names? Like Big Signal said, those days will never return in local TV around here... or anywhere...

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:52 pm 

Thanks for the information on the late Joe Palcek.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:00 pm 

Bobbi Wray went to law school after her TV career ended and she later became a magistrate.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:51 pm 

By the way, I e-mailed Sam Merrill BUT he hasn't e-mail me back since yesterday about how Marc Wesley was doing. Thanks for telling me that he has cancer.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:55 am 

I always liked Art Neil.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:44 pm 

Speaking of name changes, I recall Mark Torregrossa being called "Mark Allen" on WPBN/WTOM.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:03 pm 

Guys, i think Gene has been gone for a couple of years.
He was a friend of one our our show hosts and i'm pretty sure he passed.

I'll find out tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:22 pm 

jry wrote:
Guys, i think Gene has been gone for a couple of years.
He was a friend of one our our show hosts and i'm pretty sure he passed.

I'll find out tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure Gene is still alive and preaching. Friend of mine told me he officiated a funeral he attended not all that long ago.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:36 am 

I'd like to toss out the names of two other local broadcast legends, albeit from a competing station. Frank Cady and Bob Scott (WJRT.) For years, both were the off camera announcer/on camera program host/commercial talent/and "whatever other task had to be tended to at any given moment" professionals. We miss them dearly.