Welcome to the Buzzboard! By viewing or posting any content on this site, you are agreeing to the TERMS OF USE! So, please take a moment to read them if this is your first visit or have not done so in a while. All accepted registrations through Saturday, June 21 at 3:45p ET have been activated.  

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:24 am 

Noticed this morning that CW 50 Detroit/WKBD is gone from Buckeye Cable due to a retransmission conflict between Buckeye and CBS. I don't think it'll be missed anywhere near as much as when Buckeye and Fox couldn't reach a retrans consent agreement for WJBK Fox 2 a few summers ago. Eventually they worked things out and WJBK returned to Buckeye Cable's channel lineup.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:52 am 

or when WKBD was a super independent station with a lot of great programming - and Bill Kennedy was still around!
They had all the cartoons way back before Cartoon Network and Toledo had nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:17 pm 

Very true, not to mention all the Detroit sports teams were on channel 50 for a few years. Now all they have is the CW, syndicated shows and movies.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:42 pm 

At least WKBD airs Simpsons every weeknight, which WUPW rarely has the past few years and does not now. Still, I've never really understood why Buckeye bothers having two CW channels (and according to the crawl currently running on 50, they want WKBD back). Honestly, if they wanted to save a few bucks and drop every Detroit channel as long as they left CBET alone, I wouldn't care.

When WJBK was pulled from Buckeye, they were gone for a long time. Over a year IIRC.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:48 pm 

EnbyCee wrote:
At least WKBD airs Simpsons every weeknight, which WUPW rarely has the past few years and does not now. Still, I've never really understood why Buckeye bothers having two CW channels (and according to the crawl currently running on 50, they want WKBD back). Honestly, if they wanted to save a few bucks and drop every Detroit channel as long as they left CBET alone, I wouldn't care.

When WJBK was pulled from Buckeye, they were gone for a long time. Over a year IIRC.

Even if they wanted to drop all Detroit stations, they couldn't unless they wanted to split northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan into two separate service areas. Right now the channel lineups for both areas are almost identical. The areas in southeast Michigan served by Buckeye are technically in the Detroit viewing area. I had a friend who worked at Buckeye during their dispute with Fox over WJBK. He said they got a lot of calls requesting it back specifically because of their newscasts, particularly their morning news.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:40 pm 

80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
Noticed this morning that CW 50 Detroit/WKBD is gone from Buckeye Cable due to a retransmission conflict between Buckeye and CBS. I don't think it'll be missed anywhere near as much as when Buckeye and Fox couldn't reach a retrans consent agreement for WJBK Fox 2 a few summers ago. Eventually they worked things out and WJBK returned to Buckeye Cable's channel lineup.

This is why I don't watch CBS.

WOHO wrote:
or when WKBD was a super independent station with a lot of great programming - and Bill Kennedy was still around!
They had all the cartoons way back before Cartoon Network and Toledo had nothing.

And this was the world I grew up in! :rollin

Really, kids today have it WAY too spoiled in my opinion. It was either WKBD or Nickelodeon for me 30 years ago!

EnbyCee wrote:
At least WKBD airs Simpsons every weeknight, which WUPW rarely has the past few years and does not now. Still, I've never really understood why Buckeye bothers having two CW channels (and according to the crawl currently running on 50, they want WKBD back).

I'm sure there's some sort of sentimental attachment going on there.

Quote:
Honestly, if they wanted to save a few bucks and drop every Detroit channel as long as they left CBET alone, I wouldn't care.

I wouldn't mind an HD version of CBET myself, but fat chance I'm sure.

Quote:

In that time they could've stuck in another channel like Univision to pair it off with Telemundo nicely! I wonder how many calls they got over that one?

80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
Even if they wanted to drop all Detroit stations, they couldn't unless they wanted to split northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan into two separate service areas. Right now the channel lineups for both areas are almost identical. The areas in southeast Michigan served by Buckeye are technically in the Detroit viewing area. I had a friend who worked at Buckeye during their dispute with Fox over WJBK. He said they got a lot of calls requesting it back specifically because of their newscasts, particularly their morning news.

I'm amused people do watch it anyway, but yeah, if they had to split up the area they probably could easily if possible (Bedford already gets the HD versions of 2, 4 and 7 anyway).

Speaking of Bedford, I was up there yesterday for the 29th annual trade fair they had at the high school and saw Buckeye's booth there too. Too bad I didn't already know of this news or I would've asked them about it.

In other news, I see Buckeye brought in Canada's "Galaxie" music service to replace whatever previous music channels they had before. I normally don't go here anyway but it's funny they're still around.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:56 am 

Don't know how soon it would happen but I wouldn't be surprised if Buckeye added CBET-HD, assuming they can get a good enough HD signal. For those of you with Buckeye in Bedford, how good are the Detroit HD's signals?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:41 pm 

CBET in HD on Buckeye would be sweet.
Also, after Fox killed CBS's WJBK, I don't think there's ever been a 2nd CBS station on Buckeye Cable, has there?
There's almost always been Two ABCs (WXYZ/WTVG-WNWO), Two NBC's (WDIV/WNWO-WTVG), Two Fox (WKBD-WJBK, WUPW), two or three PBS (WTVS, WBGU, WGTE), Two CW (WKBD, fake-o-rama WTO5 cable-only), but only WTOL to carry the CBS banner since losing WJBK. Does any else recall differently about another CBS source on cable?

PS: I want "Antenna TV" so bad I can taste it, but Buckeye won't add it,
and it would be nice as an HD-2 replacement on WTVG or WNWO for their not-so-hot HD-2's. At least 11 has nice quality HD-2, 24 is horrible artifacts, as does 36 HD-2.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:40 pm 

WOHO, you are correct about CBS on Buckeye Cable. I wonder if the reason they never added a second CBS affiliate is because of the network non-duplication/syndex rules which currently affect their carriage of WDIV. Since WGPR-TV/WWJ-TV were not considered "significantly viewed" by folks using antennas for TV reception in northwest Ohio, Buckeye probably wouldn't be able to add CBS 62 without having to protect WTOL's exclusivity for CBS programming. Along that thought, noticed last night Buckeye blacking out WJBK-Fox 2 in prime time with infomercials. This surprises me because I thought they were "significantly viewed" and not eligible for network non-duplication blackouts to protect WUPW. Last night was the first time I'd seen WJBK replaced since they were a CBS affiliate in the late 70's. Back then, they replaced it during CBS network programming with the local CBS affiliate, WTOL.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:17 pm 

WOHO wrote:
CBET in HD on Buckeye would be sweet.

Certainly come Olympic time! :wink:

Quote:
Also, after Fox killed CBS's WJBK, I don't think there's ever been a 2nd CBS station on Buckeye Cable, has there?

There wasn't.

Quote:
There's almost always been Two ABCs (WXYZ/WTVG-WNWO), Two NBC's (WDIV/WNWO-WTVG), Two Fox (WKBD-WJBK, WUPW), two or three PBS (WTVS, WBGU, WGTE), Two CW (WKBD, fake-o-rama WTO5 cable-only), but only WTOL to carry the CBS banner since losing WJBK. Does any else recall differently about another CBS source on cable?

Not me. It was like they didn't want to bother asking WWJ once CBS took that. I use to like it when it was that way (and noticed a pattern with my parents preferring the Detroit channels anyway, I think it was a habit of the older generation to be that way). Of course my dad hated not getting ch. 20 himself, so we had to solve that problem in the bedroom where a UHF bow-tie antenna is still nailed to the wall to this day (though I don't use it).

Quote:
PS: I want "Antenna TV" so bad I can taste it, but Buckeye won't add it,
and it would be nice as an HD-2 replacement on WTVG or WNWO for their not-so-hot HD-2's. At least 11 has nice quality HD-2, 24 is horrible artifacts, as does 36 HD-2.

This is still a reason to look into outdoor antennas!

Really, it's sad we have to play the waiting game and act like these stations would be like the cable companies in adding these channels if there was a demand for it (I lost that fight years ago). Antenna TV would be nice since I've heard they play their shows without watermarked logos!

80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
WOHO, you are correct about CBS on Buckeye Cable. I wonder if the reason they never added a second CBS affiliate is because of the network non-duplication/syndex rules which currently affect their carriage of WDIV. Since WGPR-TV/WWJ-TV were not considered "significantly viewed" by folks using antennas for TV reception in northwest Ohio, Buckeye probably wouldn't be able to add CBS 62 without having to protect WTOL's exclusivity for CBS programming. Along that thought, noticed last night Buckeye blacking out WJBK-Fox 2 in prime time with infomercials. This surprises me because I thought they were "significantly viewed" and not eligible for network non-duplication blackouts to protect WUPW. Last night was the first time I'd seen WJBK replaced since they were a CBS affiliate in the late 70's. Back then, they replaced it during CBS network programming with the local CBS affiliate, WTOL.

Again, Syndex sucks! I wouldn't be surprised if ch. 7's next!

And yet, I can still pick up ch. 20 in my bedroom! :rollin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:40 pm 

YES, Syndex does SUCK! That's another advantage of a good antenna, if you can pick up a channel, you can watch that channel without restrictions. Hoping the FCC does away with Syndex and network non-duplication rules, which they are considering as a result of retransmission disputes like the one we're talking about with WKBD. It's proceeding number 10-71 where that is being considered.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:11 pm 

80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
YES, Syndex does SUCK! That's another advantage of a good antenna, if you can pick up a channel, you can watch that channel without restrictions.

It is like giving the finger to those providers for not providing anyway.

Quote:
Hoping the FCC does away with Syndex and network non-duplication rules, which they are considering as a result of retransmission disputes like the one we're talking about with WKBD. It's proceeding number 10-71 where that is being considered.

We only hope it does go through.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:50 am 

I've always wondered why WXON/WDWB/WMYD was the "odd man out" in regards to cable coverage in the Toledo area... all the other Detroit-area locals (aside from WADL) are carried, even WPXD.... is it becuase of them being a former independent station (until 1995)? they were a very strong independent... just not on the same level as WKBD was, or the (now largely irrelevant) "superstations"....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:20 am 

With the FCC ECFS online, it's very easy to add your comments on FCC proceedings; so on Syndex, FCC #10-71, I will be adding my 2 cents worth.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:29 pm 

RingtailedFox wrote:
I've always wondered why WXON/WDWB/WMYD was the "odd man out" in regards to cable coverage in the Toledo area... all the other Detroit-area locals (aside from WADL) are carried, even WPXD.... is it becuase of them being a former independent station (until 1995)? they were a very strong independent... just not on the same level as WKBD was, or the (now largely irrelevant) "superstations"....

I wish I knew.

WOHO wrote:
With the FCC ECFS online, it's very easy to add your comments on FCC proceedings; so on Syndex, FCC #10-71, I will be adding my 2 cents worth.

I like to say something, but feel I can't really string words together to form a suitable statement on the matter myself, but certainly one that needs to be mentioned all over.