Welcome to the Buzzboard! By viewing or posting any content on this site, you are agreeing to the TERMS OF USE! So, please take a moment to read them if this is your first visit or have not done so in a while. All accepted registrations through Saturday, June 21 at 3:45p ET have been activated.  

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Peter Chan out at FOX
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:25 pm 

Peter Chan has left FOX. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:43 pm 

i think the other guy is a creep

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:24 pm 

I wonder if Rick Mecklenburg will be hired?

Last edited by djcoex on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:32 pm 

That's great news for Peter Chan...FOX 17 has become a laughing stock when it comes to news. I don't think he'll be on the waiver wire before tooooooo loooooong.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:40 pm 

Did he leave on his own terms or did they not renew him? I'm guessing that he was not renewed, or he was flat out fired, since there was no on-air going-away party. Last night's news was business as usual. He's been there since the beginning, what, 14 years ago?

I agree, Kevin Craig is a creep. But Jon Shaner isn't bad. I wonder if they promote Shaner?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:48 pm 

Per Twitter, it sounds like employees showed up today and found out he was gone. Sounds much like Brent Ashcroft's departure.

Anyone with tenure who also has a contract coming up should be wary of getting broomed out at XMI.

It'll be sad to see Chan go, given his longevity in the area. I hope Shaner is his replacement. He fits well on that morning show, but would be equally as good at night. Probably cheaper to hire someone to replace him on the morning gig anyways. And cheap is what media bosses love!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:15 pm 

Sad to hear this. I always felt Chan was a pretty competent meteorologist - and not painful to watch. He was often the only forecaster to brave predicting something different than the other folks in town. And was often the only one right as a result.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:38 pm 

Hope WWMT picks him and get rid of the weekend guy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:20 am 

Unreal how many people have left Fox 17 the last two years, including field reporters. It blows my mind. Chan had a little bit of a temper as i watched him over the years. Cost cutting move, time will tell. Whats Dotys job over there, just seems like a one hour show yet with DeSelms which name got changed. Interesting to say the least.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:00 pm 

I agree with many of the sentiments in this thread. I would rank Peter up with Bill Steffen and above Bill in many regards. He never hypes severe weather when it is not warranted and he always gives an informative weather presentation. Peter is very talented and will easily land on his feet.

I would love to see Peter reappear at another television station in the market. WOOD-TV would be smart to hire Peter. Bill Steffen has a limited shelf life and I can't see Terri, Matt, Kyle or Laura move into the chief role. WWMT has an opening for a meteorologist: http://jobs.sbgnet.com/sbghire/JobManag ... arketID=54.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:19 pm 

That's to bad Peter is out at Fox 17 wish him well whereever he go's I hope Wood or WWMT picks him up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:31 pm 

Didnt Chan at one time work at TV-3 out of K-ZOO? For what ever reason was his salary big at FOX-17? I dont see Wood-8 hiring him, they have way to many as we speak. And i dont think Steffen is ready to hang it up just yet. Chan cant afford to wait around for Steffen to leave.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:20 pm 

Chan did work at WKZO and then for the NWS before returning to television for Fox.

I wish you well Peter. As mentioned above, you stuck your neck out on forecasts and made predictions that the "safe" meteorologists wouldn't.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:23 am 

Well, it's crystal clear that FOX 17 is pressing the reset button and looking to start from scratch (much like they did in 1999). If I'm Christian Frank or Michele DeSelms, I see Peter's non-renewal as a shot across the bow and I start realizing that my time and tenure at WXMI is coming to an end. This firing validates that FOX does NOT care about people. In the last three years, FOX has now chosen to not renew two very credible and respected TV personalities in this market. They're a station that continues to operate under a bankrupt ownership meaning costs across the board have to be kept down. Peter Chan is a "brand" and I truly hope either WOOD or WZZM recognizes this and scoops him up. He had a following or he wouldn't have lasted 14 years at WXMI.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

Peter Chan is a very solid forecaster and air talent, and I'd say the same holds true for Jon Shaner, too.

While Kevin Craig is also a solid forecaster, his on-air style leaves something to be desired.

http://www.chatsports.com/michigan-wolverines/a/Michigan-football-covered-up-rape-allegations-and-threats-of-violence-then-lied-about-it-people-need-to-be-fired-immediately-10-2-4830

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next