Welcome to the Buzzboard! By viewing or posting any content on this site, you are agreeing to the TERMS OF USE! So, please take a moment to read them if this is your first visit or have not done so in a while. All accepted registrations through Sunday, August 10 at 8:00a ET have been activated.  

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:21 am 

WLJZ has changed calls to WOEZ as of today.

Anyone think this could mean an end to The Bear at 94.5? Possibly a format swap between 97.7 and 94.5 with The Bear ending up on 97.7?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:01 am 
Site Admin

Good catch. I think you're right on the first part. Not sure why Del simply wouldn't transplant the WQEZ calls from 97.7 to 94.5, though. This suggests to me they are being retained for use elsewhere.

Therefore, my guess would be at least one more stick is flipping. I would keep an eye on 93.9 & 98.1.

I can very easily picture "Big Country Gold" getting a spot on the FM dial at 97.7.

Here's one potential scenario:
--WQEZ at 94.5 & 98.1
--Big Country Gold at 97.7 & 93.9
--107.1 in Cadillac becomes a repeater for either Big Country 102.9, WQEZ or Real Rock.

http://www.chatsports.com/michigan-wolverines/a/Michigan-football-covered-up-rape-allegations-and-threats-of-violence-then-lied-about-it-people-need-to-be-fired-immediately-10-2-4830

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:13 am 

I read that a signal swap with Michigan Broadcasting is in the works with 106.3 and 94.5, 93.9

We have too much country in TC as it is... Given the retirement population here, the EZ format might do well. But it's just probably related to 106.3 thing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:06 pm 

Hello Radio Friends!

If you have been keeping track you may have noticed that the purchase of the Northern Star stations (NSB) has not as yet taken place by Mary and Me. On 12/15/11 the FCC denied our application to purchase based on the 2003 change in ownership rules that put in place the use of the BIA Arbitron ownership rules. Based on the Arbitron market NSB owns more stations than are allowed to be owned by a single broadcast group in this market. Since NSB already owned them they were grand fathered into keeping what they had until they chose to sell. When we tried to buy the group we used to own, we were surprised to find that even though all the contours passed the test the Arbitron BIA rules stopped the sale. This put us into a situation that a station had to be divested in order to buy them. WCKC in Cadillac didn't affect the numbers nor did WQEZ in Cheboygan or WAVC in Mio as none of them are registered into the Arbitron market. At this point I came up with an idea that took months to implement, however, the following is the explanation of the plan.

My idea was to see if the current ownship of NSB would trade 94.5 WLJZ in Mackinaw City that was registered in the Arbitron Market as Mackinaw City/Petoskey and 93.9 WAVC licensed to Mio for the single 106.3 signal that is currently owned by Michigan Broadcasters. The first step was to talk to the FCC and see if they would approve such a transaction as 106.3 WYPV is licensed to Presque Isle County and the city of Onaway. They said they would as it's not a part of the Arbitron Market. The second step was to see if the sole owner of NSB Wade Fetzer would be willing to do such a trade deal and he said he would. The final step was to see if Michigan Broadcasters would be willing to trade the one station for two. Of course they saw the advantage and agreed they would be willing.

There was a great deal of techincals involved in moving WYPV's construction permit from it's location on the WHAK tower in Rogers City to the Channel 4 tower East of Cheboygan. After months of working on this the WYPV signal was approved to operate on the Channel 4 tower. Michigan Broadcasters built the new station and began broadcasting Christmas music to put the station on the air and legally operate as a working station until the FCC approved their license. Later they launched their conservative talk product that is now on 106.3. In order to make this make sense for Mary and me we had to have a signal in the Straits area that could preserve cash flow with the absense of 94.5 and 93.9. It wasn't until 11/6/12 that WYPV was granted their license. NSB would obviously would not trade a construction permit for 2 working licenses. Now that WYPV has their license the application for the trade was filed this week and will eliminate the ownership issues with the FCC for Northern Star Broadcasting and Mary and me to buy if approved.

Of course the large lady hasn't sung as yet and there is still the FCC waiting game, however, pending any objections it's well on it's way to approval. Even if anyone chooses to object, it would only delay the eventual as it's legal. After this many delays I've developed a lot of patience so if there are any delays it won't upset me.

The call sign change is to move the offending set of call signs off of WLJZ as WYPV wants their call sign transfered to 94.5 at closing. WYPV (Were Your Patriot Voice) is what it stands for by the way. It was a precaution to not allow WLJZ which is the offending call sign to be attached in any way to 106.3. I knew WOEZ was available so we went with that. Anything with BR to make it like the Bear is long gone. With all the LPFM's, LPTV's and Coast Guard ships call letter choices are very limited anymore.

I hope this helps you understand the call sign and swap situation. A big Thanks to Wade Fetzer for allowing this trade to take place and to Michigan Broadcasters for agreeing to the signal swap. Onward and upward!

Merry Christmas and Best Regards,

Del Reynolds

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:10 am 

I like this idea. 1240 AM's signal sounds like crap. An FM alternative would be welcomed, really like for format. :)

MWmetalhead wrote:

I can very easily picture "Big Country Gold" getting a spot on the FM dial at 97.7.

Here's one potential scenario:
--WQEZ at 94.5 & 98.1
--Big Country Gold at 97.7 & 93.9
--107.1 in Cadillac becomes a repeater for either Big Country 102.9, WQEZ or Real Rock.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:42 am 

WCBY uses an Inovonics 235 Processor. It's an inexpensive little processor for sure. It's running into a BE AM1 transmitter. Maybe after I own it someday I can get a better one on line. I'm sorry WCBY doesn't meet your expectations. We now are also heard on 100.7 FM in the Straits Area with an Optimod 2200...still in Mono but sounds better than AM for sure. If anyone has a better AM processor they'd like to sell cheap let me know...Del Reynolds

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:45 pm 

I totally love the station and I listen online since I am in Grayling, well out of the listening area. Though when I tuned in on the am dial when I was doing the bridge walk the signal just sounded bad, like it was all muffled up or something. I figured by being in the listening area that it would sound real good. But the online stream is awesome quality.

radiofreedel wrote:
WCBY uses an Inovonics 235 Processor. It's an inexpensive little processor for sure. It's running into a BE AM1 transmitter. Maybe after I own it someday I can get a better one on line. I'm sorry WCBY doesn't meet your expectations. We now are also heard on 100.7 FM in the Straits Area with an Optimod 2200...still in Mono but sounds better than AM for sure. If anyone has a better AM processor they'd like to sell cheap let me know...Del Reynolds

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:11 am 

Hi Del! I was hoping you'd show up and explain what's up with your stations. So, to paraphrase what you told us, if all goes as planned you'll be getting 106.3, and 94.5 and 93.9 will go to Michigan Broadcasters? Any hints as to what you plan on doing with the 106.3 signal?

I really enjoy WQEZ and WCBY, by the way. A lot of the songs I hear on WCBY bring back memories of listening to the old W4 Country in Detroit in the early/mid-'90s.

By the way, off topic, can someone confirm if 95.3 WWSS is off the air? I noticed the station has been granted Remain Silent Authorization. I think introducing another country station in an area where 102.9 and 93.5 already dominate was a peabrained move anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:46 am 

WWSS 95.3 is on the air with a pretty good signal. Kent did a good job building it. I used to be able to listen to 95.5 from Traverse City at my house on Burt Lake and now since 95.3 is there it makes it difficult to sort 95.5 out some of the time. If some of you remember 95.3 was the original signal in Gaylord before it moved to 101.5. Del

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:06 am 

Probably the smartest broadcaster in Northern Michigan wrote:
The call sign change is to move the offending set of call signs off of WLJZ as WYPV wants their call sign transfered to 94.5 at closing. WYPV (Were Your Patriot Voice) is what it stands for by the way. It was a precaution to not allow WLJZ which is the offending call sign to be attached in any way to 106.3.
I must have missed something in this discussion. Can you explain "offending call letters"? Just who or what is offended by WLJZ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:08 pm 

Hello,

It was explained in the paragraphs I wrote. WLJZ is the call sign that is registered with Arbitron and it is the station causing the too many stations in the market owned by one broadcast company issue. We don't want when the swap takes place to move that call sign that is registered with Arbitron to the new frequency of 106.3. 106.3 is licensed to Onaway and never has or will ever be registered with Arbiton as a Metro station. It could / would cause confusion with the FCC and ad agencies.

Regards,

Del Reynolds

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:33 pm 

What's the observed signal of WOEZ vs. WYPV in Petoskey and Harbor Springs? Both are shadowed, but I would think WOEZ would be better due to the quite a bit shorter distance. The 60 dBu of WOEZ gets past Petoskey, whereas the WYPV 60 dBu doesn't. After four ERP increases, 3-6-18.5-40-50, it's a shame the FCC rules keep changing and WOEZ can't be kept. There are SO MANY signals up there now, under older duopoly rules there were plenty of other overlaps as I recall, and the market definitions are much more arbitrary than signal overlaps. And now even the noncommercials count as I have heard. Haven't had any reason to look that Section over lately, but like everything else, engineering based rules are out and attorney based rules are in. Probably because engineers can understand legalese, but attorneys can't understand Physics and Engineering. Maybe it's time that technical people start running for political office.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:18 pm 

Fingerboard Corners wrote:
What's the observed signal of WOEZ vs. WYPV in Petoskey and Harbor Springs? Both are shadowed, but I would think WOEZ would be better due to the quite a bit shorter distance. The 60 dBu of WOEZ gets past Petoskey, whereas the WYPV 60 dBu doesn't. After four ERP increases, 3-6-18.5-40-50, it's a shame the FCC rules keep changing and WOEZ can't be kept. There are SO MANY signals up there now, under older duopoly rules there were plenty of other overlaps as I recall, and the market definitions are much more arbitrary than signal overlaps. And now even the noncommercials count as I have heard. Haven't had any reason to look that Section over lately, but like everything else, engineering based rules are out and attorney based rules are in. Probably because engineers can understand legalese, but attorneys can't understand Physics and Engineering. Maybe it's time that technical people start running for political office.

Another strange thing is that Manistee, Cadillac, McBain, etc. are not in the TC radio market yet Cheboygan is. Then again, most of the TC stations (except 103.5, 92.9, and maybe 101.9) don't put in a decent signal to all of those three (95.5 and 98.1 put decent signals into Manistee, but not Cadillac or McBain).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:43 am 

A confused person wrote:
Another strange thing is that Manistee, Cadillac, McBain, etc. are not in the TC radio market yet Cheboygan is.
It's not. See below

Arbitron defines each market by county and Arbitron.com wrote:
Arbitron Market Definition for Traverse City-Petoskey, MI, Fall 2012

METRO DEFINITION METRO DEFINITION
Antrim MI Benzie MI
Charlevoix MI Emmet MI
Grand Traverse MI Kalkaska MI
Leelanau MI
NSB's problem is due to WLJZ showing up in the TC Arbitron ratings estimates. Changing the calls is a savvy move.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:53 am 
Site Admin

94.5's COL is Mackinaw City, which is (barely) in Emmet County.

http://www.chatsports.com/michigan-wolverines/a/Michigan-football-covered-up-rape-allegations-and-threats-of-violence-then-lied-about-it-people-need-to-be-fired-immediately-10-2-4830