Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 29 at 11:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
Colonel Flagg

Re: Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue May 21, 2024 8:24 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 7:44 pm
EdWalker wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 8:34 am
ftballfan wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 7:20 pm
I did see that a 100.7 was dropped in at Bear Lake after 99.9 was assigned to Custer. If that allocation gets moved toward TC, then another station would likely have to backfill and change its COL to Bear Lake (likely WIAA or WTCM-FM)
I can't imagine anyone with any common sense moving another signal in TC.
Maybe Smile FM? They could then dump the two translators they currently have in TC
Remind us, again, with your infinite wisdom, why either of those stations would change their COL to accommodate such tomfoolery...

"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 21, 2024 8:36 pm

Someone is not getting the point that investing in radio infrastructure is a money losing proposal.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Tue May 21, 2024 9:55 pm

1210 sits on an old landfill. That can't be good for resale.
A bit of topic,but wasn't The WFUR/WYHA tower also built on an old landfill?
Is First Local Service still a thing? I did see that a 100.7 was dropped in at Bear Lake after 99.9 was assigned to Custer. If that allocation gets moved toward TC, then another station would likely have to backfill and change its COL to Bear Lake (likely WIAA or WTCM-FM)
If say 1035 does change the their Top Of Hour ID to something like WTCM-FM Bear Lake,Traverse City, Cadillac-I Wonder if they would also change their current voice over guy.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed May 22, 2024 5:16 pm

ADD in TC wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 9:55 pm

Is First Local Service still a thing? I did see that a 100.7 was dropped in at Bear Lake after 99.9 was assigned to Custer. If that allocation gets moved toward TC, then another station would likely have to backfill and change its COL to Bear Lake (likely WIAA or WTCM-FM)
If say 1035 does change the their Top Of Hour ID to something like WTCM-FM Bear Lake,Traverse City, Cadillac-I Wonder if they would also change their current voice over guy.
There's a lot of stations that are situated on former landfill property. In GR, the former 1480 WMAX comes to mind. Also the original 102.7 site near Mount Clemens, which resulted in prolonged litigation between a buyer (Ragan Henry) and seller (Inner City Radio) many years ago.

As for WTCM moving (on paper) to Bear Lake, again, there's no motivation for Ross B to play along with these shenanigans. The late Bob Liggett always said, "If someone asks you to do something, your first question should be "What's in it for me?"
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed May 22, 2024 6:38 pm

I've been studying allotments in this area and others for nearly the last 40+ years. When they tried to move all those allotments around, like 10 stations changing frequencies, it was a disaster, and rightly so. The best you can do is move an existing facility with the present COL closer to Traverse City. However, some CPs that expired that could have been moved, are no longer allowed to do so due to other allotments and upgrades in the years since. I remember when WTCM 103.5 moved further South to cover Cadilac better, it precluded a drop in to Big Rapids on 103.9 which was moved to 102.3 around 1981. Several years ago, a petitioner caused WTCM 103.5 to be downgraded to Class C0, after an attempt to increase its HAAT to 450+ meters, 1476+ feet to remain Class C. This allowed 103.9 to be dropped in to Big Rapids for the second time, because it was not required to be as far away.

WCXT 105.3 Class C precluded a lot of moves and upgrades, but as it moved to C1, C2, and finally B, it allowed other new preclusive allotments that still precluded other upgrades.

Long ago, they should have modified second and third adjacents separation requirements, and or contour based allotments like they used to be before 1964, and still do on the NCE-FM band.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed May 22, 2024 11:43 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 5:16 pm
ADD in TC wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 9:55 pm

There's a lot of stations that are situated on former landfill property. In GR, the former 1480 WMAX comes to mind. Also the original 102.7 site near Mount Clemens, which resulted in prolonged litigation between a buyer (Ragan Henry) and seller (Inner City Radio) many years ago.

As for WTCM moving (on paper) to Bear Lake, again, there's no motivation for Ross B to play along with these shenanigans. The late Bob Liggett always said, "If someone asks you to do something, your first question should be "What's in it for me?"
The original WBRB 1430 3 tower array was on Hayes Rd., South of Hall Rd., just South of the Lowe's driveway today. It had problems because it was a wetland. To this day it is often flooded. They moved for this and other reasons, such as their plans to go full-time, and needing a different site to get a higher tower for WBRB-FM 102.7, because of the original site's proximity to the Berz Macomb Airport, which is now gone and a new subdivision on the land. Wild Willie didn't remember, and Bob Layne died before I had a chance to ask. I should have asked audiophile to ask him about that when he came to visit the old WFMK site on Grand River.

WMAX was once also owned by Mid States/Panax, When it was sold to GVSU, Dave Gale told them not to buy the Butterworth Dump site, even though it was 5000 watts nominal power Days. They probably could have diplexed WJRW.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 23, 2024 5:14 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 11:43 pm
WMAX was once also owned by Mid States/Panax, When it was sold to GVSU, Dave Gale told them not to buy the Butterworth Dump site, even though it was 5000 watts nominal power Days. They probably could have diplexed WJRW.
WMAX was donated to WGVU and it was GM Michael Walenta who refused to take the Butterworth tower site. It was well known around town. I had to wear a hazmat suit to clean out that facility of things Chief Bob Lumbert wanted to keep. It took 6 months to get the Kentwood site dialed in.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri May 24, 2024 4:30 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 7:44 pm
EdWalker wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 8:34 am
ftballfan wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 7:20 pm
I did see that a 100.7 was dropped in at Bear Lake after 99.9 was assigned to Custer. If that allocation gets moved toward TC, then another station would likely have to backfill and change its COL to Bear Lake (likely WIAA or WTCM-FM)
I can't imagine anyone with any common sense moving another signal in TC.
Maybe Smile FM? They could then dump the two translators they currently have in TC
If you look at FMFool, which ranks the station signals based on Longley Rice prediction, even the 10 watt translators have stronger signals in the low lying areas near Traverse City than stations behind the hills. From the ridge, Traverse City's version of Mt. Wilson, 250 watt translators put an F(50,50) 70 dBu contour over nearly all of Traverse City. The L-R prediction is likely higher due to LOS. I suspect that all the ridge located 250 watt translators serve a population of 30000 or more including the close in areas just outside TC. The best is 94.7 for whatever reason. It can be heard in the high elevation areas between Grayling and Gaylord.

Some of the stations from behind the hills could have well placed, well designed boosters. Regardless of advances in booster technology, radio signals are COHERENT, and there would be interference fringes (Laws Of Physics) where the signals are approximately equal. These areas can be minimized by optimal ERP, polarization, directional antennas, optimal location, and intervening terrain toward the originating station.

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic