Welcome to the Buzzboard! By viewing or posting any content on this site, you are agreeing to the TERMS OF USE! So, please take a moment to read them if this is your first visit or have not done so in a while. All accepted registrations through Sunday, November 23 at 1:30p ET have been activated.  

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Larry Estlack
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:07 pm 

From the Facebook page of a Lansing broadcaster:

Wanted to let you know that our pal, Larry Estlack is now in hospice at Stoneleigh Residence, 3411 Stoneleigh Dr. Lansing, 48910 He's in room 1. It's a beautiful facility and visitors are his best medicine. He sleeps a lot and can barely whisper, but it means the world to him to be with the friends he loves.

Post subject: Re: Larry Estlack
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:36 pm 

Sorry to hear this. I once got mailed a humungous shipment of red fidelipacs from Larry when he was the SBE contact. I've talked to him by phone a few times, but never had a chance to meet him in person.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:01 pm 

Oh no. Larry did all of our MAB self inspections. Spent a bit of time yacking with Larry when we built out the Holt site and he was doing work for 1180. I am surprised that i didn't see anything on this. This is truly a shame.
What kind of cancer?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:21 pm 

Location: An abandoned radio station somewhere in a beetfield in Michigan
I got to know Larry from the old. WILS-AM/FM when he was Facilities Manager there. None better. Gave me the best advice regarding WOAP. Best wishes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:15 am 

Visited with Larry at Sparrow a few weeks ago. He is in good spirits, and enjoys catching up with old friends. Glad to hear he's in good hands. Pay him a visit if you can.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:25 pm 

A facebook group has been set up for Larry at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/221633444683284/
If the link does not work you can go to: Friends of Larry Allen Estlack with the Facebook search window.

You are encouraged to join and leave memories for him there.

They are being read to him.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:10 pm 

I've worked with Larry on several projects over the past couple of years. His illness came on fast, and moved very, very quickly.

He first became aware of it in October '12, and was treated throughout the winter and since then.

I visited him Thursday evening; he was very weak and was sleeping a lot. He seemed to recognize visitors.

Larry is good people, and he has left a very big vacancy in our industry.

Godspeed, my friend.

Last edited by Plate Cap on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:29 pm 

Very sad to hear this. I have not seen Larry Estlack in 25 years or better, but during my time working in Lansing, I can't think of an unkind word that was ever said about him. A good engineer is nearly impossible to find now. The combination I.T. guy / equipment shipping clerk of today is not fit to shine Larry's shoes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:27 pm 

Location: An abandoned radio station somewhere in a beetfield in Michigan
And that brings up a compelling point, Colonel.. why isn't there heir apparents to the stellar engineers, managers and talent? Expense to train properly. Everybody eventually went to Larry. He was the glue that literally held Lansing broadcasting together. I'm sure he had keys to. ev ery operation in town.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:16 am 

From The Friends of Larry Allen Estlack Facebook page:

As some of you may already know. It is with great sadness to report that our friend Larry has passed away Monday morning about 12:30am. His passing was peaceful and he was sleeping. He took with him all of the good messages, admiration and prayers sent his way over the past few days, and no one could ask for more than that. Services will be in early January in Lansing at Estes Leadley. I will keep this group open and make sure to provide details as they are available. Thank you all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:17 pm 

Very sad to hear of Larry's passing. Like many who have commented, I knew Larry since the beginning of our careers in this crazy business.

To paraphrase, Larry was a friend to all and a brother to every broadcast engineer. He found adventure in every challenge and gave his best effort to serve those who needed his expertise. The broadcast engineering profession is richer for his being among us.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:17 pm 

Well said, RST.
Too soon and profoundly sad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:19 pm 

Not to overshadow the loss of Larry at all, but we lost another one:
http://www.radioworld.com/article/berni ... ge-/222817

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:13 pm 

Tony Clark wrote:
And that brings up a compelling point, Colonel.. why isn't there heir apparents to the stellar engineers, managers and talent? Expense to train properly. Everybody eventually went to Larry. He was the glue that literally held Lansing broadcasting together. I'm sure he had keys to. ev ery operation in town.

To answer your question, Tony... how many operations nowdays have an assistant engineer? A dedicated Chief, for that matter? The megas run one engineer into the ground with a load of 12 stations to keep running. If they have an assistant, it's probably on contract.

When I used to help out Don McComb or Norm Perry, I learned a lot, because they were willing to take the time to teach. All of that teach/learn relationship is pretty much gone from the industry now, and not just in engineering. Most engineers out there don't have the time to teach anymore if they do have an assistant.

Come to think of it, right now the only group I can think of offhand who has a dedicated chief with an assistant is Midwestern Broadcasting (WTCM, etc).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:25 am 

From the Friends of Larry Allen Estlack Facebook page:

Services for Larry will be Saturday Jan 4th 2014 at Estes-Leadley in downtown Lansing. Visitation will be 2-4p, service to follow at 4pm. Wake details to be announced at service. In lieu of flowers, the family is asking for donations to Larry's scholarship fund. I'll have details for that soon.