Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Gannett screws over award winning Holland Sentinel editor

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
high fidelity

Re: Gannett screws over award winning Holland Sentinel editor

Post by high fidelity » Sun May 12, 2024 3:03 pm

The internet has hurt TV and radio, but not to the extent that it has affected newspapers. Most newspapers have skeleton crews and little to no local coverage, so it's no wonder that people don't read them.

Mary Ellen Murphy

Post by Mary Ellen Murphy » Mon May 13, 2024 5:02 am

There is a lot more to this than you know, but certainly it should spark a conversation about local news and lack there of. No one wants to have that conversation about the state of print, tv and radio. No one.

If I only have two choices on GR radio for news and information then that is a problem.

As the audience ages quite frankly where do they go?. But what do I know?
Almost 20 years in a top ten market yet my passion and experience gets mistaken for entitlement. Grand Rapids radio knows exactly what they need to do. Will they do it? People went to The Sentinel because this is where they got the facts. The truth provided daily without all the bs.

Then you have Justin Barclay spreading fear and lies daily giving Ottawa Impact a voice all while trashing the journalists who sit outside his studio, He forgets he is the media too. Who keeps him in check? Who sits him down and says enough?Who holds him accountable when he spreads lies? I have so much to say about the last 15-20 years. So much. At the end of the day, has anyone ever spoken about what is really happening? Sarah is brave. It's brave to speak the truth. Most of us can't because well we need to paint this picture that everything is perfect yet we face challenges daily. Anyway Sarah and I spoke and you can hear the interview here. https://wghn.com/2024/05/10/6226923/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 13, 2024 7:09 am

Excellent post!
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 13, 2024 10:31 am

Mary Ellen Murphy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 5:02 am
There is a lot more to this than you know, but certainly it should spark a conversation about local news and lack there of. No one wants to have that conversation about the state of print, tv and radio. No one.

If I only have two choices on GR radio for news and information then that is a problem.

Almost 20 years in a top ten market yet my passion and experience gets mistaken for entitlement. Grand Rapids radio knows exactly what they need to do. Will they do it? People went to The Sentinel because this is where they got the facts. The truth provided daily without all the bs.

Then you have Justin Barclay spreading fear and lies daily giving Ottawa Impact a voice all while trashing the journalists who sit outside his studio, He forgets he is the media too. Who keeps him in check? Who sits him down and says enough?Who holds him accountable when he spreads lies? I have so much to say about the last 15-20 years. So much. At the end of the day, has anyone ever spoken about what is really happening? Sarah is brave. It's brave to speak the truth. Most of us can't because well we need to paint this picture that everything is perfect yet we face challenges daily. Anyway Sarah and I spoke and you can hear the interview here. https://wghn.com/2024/05/10/6226923/
I don't understand why a vehicle like the Ticker isn't running in you region... One story a day, plus breaking news. It's quite a credible resource.

https://www.traverseticker.com/news/
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Jay2ThePee

Post by Jay2ThePee » Mon May 13, 2024 11:06 am

Mary Ellen Murphy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 5:02 am

I'd be really interested to hear you interview Barclay and confront him on the "lies" (real or imagined). That would be entertaining!
:arrow: :rollin

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 13, 2024 4:39 pm

An on-air debate would make for great radio!

Too many talk shows these days are echo chambers for a single ideology and little else.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Frosty

Post by Frosty » Mon May 13, 2024 6:21 pm

I'd be really interested to hear you interview Barclay and confront him on the "lies" (real or imagined). That would be entertaining!

...and exactly why it wouldn't ever happen.
Last edited by Frosty on Tue May 14, 2024 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay2ThePee

Post by Jay2ThePee » Tue May 14, 2024 7:53 am

Frosty wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 6:21 pm

...and exactly why it wouldn't ever happen.
Plus Barclay would probably hand her butt back to her on a silver platter. I'm indifferent to Barclay (never listened to him honestly) but it's not exactly brave to spout the vitriol on a public forum. It's just tough talk. Keyboard warrior should put her money where her mouth is. FTR, I like MEM, she was always very friendly and kind when I spoke with her; I just don't care for internet tough guys.
:arrow: :rollin

jesusjenny

Post by jesusjenny » Tue May 14, 2024 9:49 am

MEM has been in this Market a LONG time. She knows her stuff. Also, I can promise you know one will hand MEM her butt back to her exactly. If you met her, you'd know what I mean. Personally, I think Puddin/Barclay is just pandering to what's left of the Toxic right wing Audience that's left on AM radio from the Limbaugh/Hannity days. It's pretty awful to listen to IMO.

Mary Ellen Murphy

Post by Mary Ellen Murphy » Wed May 15, 2024 4:47 am

Barclay is now a national host filling in for Glenn Beck and I highly doubt my comment affects anything he does. If anything maybe it will create a conversation is all. I think you need to really understand how difficult it has been spending hours combing through audio and writing stories for the last two years trying to make sense of some of the nonsense in Ottawa County only to have a voice who knows nothing about the county or area spew conspiracy and give Joe Moss a voice but never talk to any other of the commissioners.

Truth is I have an email sitting in my drafts that I wrote to Barclay to thank him for his coverage he did daily at the start of the pandemic. Were were staffed here and that coverage on my way home daily was helpful. Then it all changed.
Conspiracy after conspiracy and that sells. Conspiracy bs I was reading about on overnights at WLAV a shift that allowed me to be home with my kids during the day while he was running around in his playhouse. A show I wouldn't even let my twins listen to.

This is about democracy. This is about journalism. This is about what is right.

I'm only keyboard warrior when I write my monthly column for the GH Tribune. Here I use my real name. I don't know who you are but think I have a good idea. Listen we're all still here due to passion. I get it. Passion is underrated. Anyway Joe Moss called us the media the Enemy of the People yesterday and I need to pull that audio. Have a great day and do good radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic