Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 8-17-2017 at 7:30p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Ben Bailey out at Fox 2

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Lickalime

Ben Bailey out at Fox 2

Post by Lickalime » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:55 am

Today is Ben Bailey's last day on the air. He says its time to move on to other things. Think he's getting pushed out?

jazzgirl

Re: Ben Bailey out at Fox 2

Post by jazzgirl » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:00 am

I wondered the same thing, but if that's it, it's a major mistake and a big loss. Class act, knows his stuff, and killer sense of humor when he was able to sneak it in. Best of luck to him wherever he lands and thanks for 9 enjoyable years.

radiodoc

Post by radiodoc » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:42 am

Pushed out? No way. Maybe he's had enough of getting up at 2:00 in the morning and watching life pass him by. Maybe he's got a 6 month non compete and he's going to show up somewhere else. Who knows? I say good luck to Mr. Bailey. He will be missed.

Lickalime

Post by Lickalime » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:03 pm

I don't know. I watched his good bye. When Alan and Q were introducing Ben they seemed shocked he was leaving. Ben got pretty emotional. Didn't seem like this was his choice and he said he didn't know what was going to happen. Had he said he has some things lined up I would say this was his choice.

jazzgirl

Post by jazzgirl » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:37 pm

Yep, I saw the emotions on both sides of the desk also and thought the same thing. Alan Lee was especially transparent, and he was the one who presented the cake. After 9 years, you'd expect a more dominant management role. Even before the lack of a revelation of another opportunity and the accompanying jubilation for an onward and upward move, it had the feel of a shock and sadness. In comparison to Wyatt Everhart's departure, his choice, it was a total 180, and I thought the shock on the part of his co-workers was palpable also. As I said in my earlier post, if it wasn't his doing, Fox2 made a helluva mistake on this one.

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:40 pm

I bet you that Jessica Starr ends up in the full-time morning slot (back from maternity leave) this coming Monday morning, July 22nd...part of ND Dana Hahn's "girls club!"
...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:05 pm

What a big disappointment that would be. She's mediocre compared to Ben. You're probably right, though.

Probably a combination of Kam, Jessica and Alan.
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

SoupySez

Post by SoupySez » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:58 pm

to bad he's leaving. I've always liked Bailey. Just seemed very personable and a very nice young man and pretty good at what he does.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:50 pm

Ben giving his 2 weeks notice, 2 weeks ago caught Dana by total surprise from what I hear. Ben wanted out, for whatever reason he was unhappy, it was kept a secret until today at Ben's request. It's hard to believe someone would walk away from a good gig they were doing well at with nothing planned. Perhaps he will take a main weather anchor gig somewhere else or get out of the biz, whatever happens good luck to him and I'm glad someone got out on their own terms.

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:39 am

Thanks for "2 scoops" of inside info, CJ! :)
...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:16 am

Ben giving his 2 weeks notice, 2 weeks ago caught Dana by total surprise from what I hear. Ben wanted out, for whatever reason he was unhappy, it was kept a secret until today at Ben's request.
Maybe he was sick of getting so little air time on the morning show. Alan (Longstreet) & Kam seemed to be getting as much if not more face time than him.
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

aaugusti

Post by aaugusti » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:23 pm

I liked Bailey in the mornings, but I knew something was up when they brought in that other busted looking blonde to do weather on the weekends. With her, Luterman, Longstreet, Bailey, and Starr coming back, things were getting a little crowded.

radiodoc

Post by radiodoc » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:20 pm

aaugusti wrote:I liked Bailey in the mornings, but I knew something was up when they brought in that other busted looking blonde to do weather on the weekends. With her, Luterman, Longstreet, Bailey, and Starr coming back, things were getting a little crowded.

Please. When you people actually know all the facts, then, please comment. Otherwise, please keep your ridiculous comments to yourself.

aaugusti

Post by aaugusti » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:32 pm

What "facts" did I leave out. In the last few weeks some new blonde has been doing weather and IMO she is very unattractive. Counting her, you also has Luterman, Bailey, Longstreet, and Jessica Starr. That's 5 people for the weather department, and was a clue to me that someone was going to be leaving soon.

That is all I pointed out.

pixelplay

Post by pixelplay » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:33 pm

It's been 3 main ones and a couple fill-in weekend folks for some time.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:16 pm

Just my opinion, but I think Ben was frustrated that he wasn't going to take Luderman's night time shift anytime soon. He didn't care that Kam and others were doing weather before him in the morning except when Kam royally screwed up the forecast, which happened far too frequently. Just being on the air at 6:30 was too early for him and he was done waiting for the nighttime job. That's why I think he will pop up in different market as a main weather man.

Smirnoff

Post by Smirnoff » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:26 pm

Very apparent he was "canned".....especially if you viewed his last farewell on the air.

pixelplay

Post by pixelplay » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:23 pm

Smirnoff wrote:Very apparent he was "canned".....especially if you viewed his last farewell on the air.
Nope, canned people generally don't get to say goodbye. And then stay on to finish a shift. Usually, you're hustled out of the building if you're canned. It's very obvious he was touched by all the facebook comments from fans and well wishes from staffers like Alan Lee and Q. After all, he was working with that crew for 9 years... that's ages in broadcasting. Of course he would be touched. I'm betting he has a good gig lined up.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Word on the street is that Ben will be going to channel 4 when his non-compete runs out. Chuck Gaidica will be giving up the 4pm and 11pm and Ben Bailey will get the night job he has always wanted.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:46 pm

Good. That station needed some better bench strength behind Gaidica.
Plus Bailey would be a better heir apparent to the Gaidica throne at channel 4.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic