Welcome to the Buzzboard! By viewing or posting any content on this site, you are agreeing to the TERMS OF USE! So, please take a moment to read them if this is your first visit or have not done so in a while. All accepted registrations through Sunday, November 23 at 1:30p ET have been activated.  

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:35 pm 

This may sound like a silly question, but when an FM translator receives a construction permit to move to a different frequency, where does one go to see what the call sign of the translator will be on the new frequency?

For example, take the 97.5 translator in Harrison Township which has a CP to move to 92.7 and will be used to rebroadcast WDTK. The call sign on 97.5 is W248AQ. According to Michiguide, the call sign of the new translator is W224CC. However, the W224CC call sign is not found in the FCC databases or recnet.com anywhere. Where would one find the info that the 92.7 call sign is W224CC, or are the new call signs just not available to the public yet?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:38 pm 

in canada, the callsign for a translator is the callsign for the original station but with 1 after it, for example

CKUE- 95.1 Chatham-Kent
Translator =
CKUE-1 100.7 Windsor-Essex

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:13 pm 

I would assume that the new callsigns are not available until they have been assigned.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:15 pm 

I think when 630AM stereo CFCO first added FM on 92.9, the FM's callsign was actually CFCO-1. Is that correct? Did it change when they went from 50W to 250W to whatever they've got now on FM?

Rather than in the USA, a callsign with no suffix is an AM or an FM that doesn't have a matching FM?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:06 pm 

i think so, CFCO's FM Simulcast signal is crap, doesnt go west Of Tilbury

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:04 am 

when it comes to out-of-band repeaters in Canada (FM repeating an AM station), the pattern would go like CFCO-1-FM. When it's an AM repeating an FM station, it would have its own call-sign. Otherwise, in-band repeaters simply append a number to the end like CKUE-FM-1.

Television stations differ. They can start with something like CH#### (if they are very low power and remote), or they may have their own call-signs. They may also have something like CHWI-DT-60 (former channel number), or CBLT-TV-1 (often referred to as CBLT-1). Broadcasters can choose to label their stations either sequentially, or by channel number, but are NEVER allowed to let them mix.

I'm not sure where radio-locator gets those new call-letters, though... if you claim the FCC has not reserved them, then they may just be educated guesses. Did you check the FCC's call-sign list?

In the USA, something without a suffix is a stand-alone station without a sibling, otherwise, it will have -AM, -FM, -TV, -DT, -LP, -CA, -LD, -CD, or -SW appended to the end.

I've found a couple useful tools regarding call-signs at the FCC page:
http://licensing.fcc.gov/prod/callsign/main.html
http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/oldcall.html

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:11 am 

The FCC does not use the -AM suffix. If there are common calls, only -FM and -TV are used to distinguish them.